Cody's Interlude

•Cody's POV•

''I broke my best friend's nose,'' I admit, a shrug following shortly despite the remorse I feel.

And I do feel bad.

Yeah, he threw a football at the back of my head but I could've just as easily shoved him and brushed it off.

I did what I did with intent.

I admit that I wanted to hurt him.

But he hurt me first. And I'm not just talking about physically.

''I can tell you have a lot of thoughts racing in your mind right now, you care to share any of them with me?'' Dr. Taylor asks.

I look over at him, the faded blonde hair on his head is swept to the back with gel, his dark rimmed glasses sitting on his nose, and his eyes soft yet unwavering, staring at me with patience.

''I feel bad about what I did,'' I explain, ''But even if I could take it back, I would still hit him, I just wouldn't break his nose this time.'' I admit.

I hear a cough leave Dr. Taylors mouth and I look up to see him wiping a smile from his lips.

''What?'' I ask, confused as to what was so funny.

''Nothing,'' He says, shaking his head slowly, ''But why make the same mistake again if you had a chance to fix it?'' He asks.

''Hitting him wasn't the mistake,'' I state quickly. ''Breaking his nose was what I was referring to when I said I felt bad.''

''Explain to me what makes you feel that way.''

''Well he's a fucking liar for one,'' I say, sitting back on the couch and folding my arms across my chest. ''His sister, as pissed as she was at him, couldn't wait to tell me about all the dudes he's been hooking up with and why she wasn't so surprised he went after me too.''

''And why does that make you upset?''

''Because...well—we had something going on, something—nothing serious really, and I'm a huge asshole for doing the shit I did with him while I was with his sister but still, we did those things and I just...I thought we had something. But he's been hooking up with other guys throughout the duration of everything that we were doing so...'' I shrug. ''I don't really care, he's just a liar.''

''You do care,'' Dr. Taylor disagrees, eyeing me seriously. ''If you didn't care Cody, it wouldn't affect you as much as it does. But there's nothing wrong with that you know,''

I scoff.

Yes, yes there is.

''There's a ton of shit wrong with that,'' I say, disagreeing with him quickly. ''Me caring about how he slept around while fooling around with me only gives him more power over me. Me being hurt by it, only gives him more power.''