We Can Be Better

•Damien's POV•

•Next Tuesday

I climb out of my car, shutting the door behind me as I walk up the gravel to Javier's front door.

I find the right key on my keychain, unlocking the door and stepping inside.

''Cody!'' I yell, making my way into the kitchen and resting the keys on the counter. I walk over to the fridge, opening it and grabbing me a gatorade. Twisting the top off I take a large sip, placing the bottle on the counter beside my keys.

I roll my eyes when a few minutes go by and he still doesn't make his way into the kitchen.

I groan, knowing that I'm about to have to walk up these long ass stairs which I really don't feel like doing.

I make my way toward the stairs nonetheless, heading up them and weaving my way through the halls until I come across the room he usually stays in when he's at Javier's house.

I open the door, a golden ball of fluff immediately hopping onto my leg. I look down to see Sly happily wagging his tail, his tongue hanging from his mouth lazily as he lets out a few barks of excitement.

I bend down, kneeling in front him as he attacks me with licks, running my hand through his fur I laugh, pushing his face away from mines, ''Good boy, we've gotta get you groomed,'' I say before getting back on my feet.

Looking around the room I see it's vacant, but Cody's clothes are just about all over the damn room so I have no doubt that he's here. I reach into my pocket and pull out my phone. I'm seconds away from ringing his phone as a door swings open and he walks out of the connecting bathroom.

''I heard you,'' He says casually, running a fluffy white towel through his damp brown hair. He grabs a random blue shirt from the bed, putting it on and looking over to me.

''C'mon, lets talk,'' I tell him as I leave the room, Sly following closely at my feet. I walk through the halls and into the upstairs living room.

''I do owe you an apology,'' I say to Cody once we're both seated on couches across from each other. ''I'm sorry for snapping at you the other day. We were both upset and I shouldn't have let the conversation escalate to an argument,'' I admit.

''Furthermore though, I'm sorry that I haven't been putting myself in the best positions to always be a good role model to you. Me cheating on Otto with Steven was a shitty thing to do. And I feel like shit for doing it but I feel even worse having you know about it and be disappointed in me or ashamed of me. I know that I gave you a lot of crap about cheating on Scarlet with Skylar, and I know me turning around and making the exact same mistake makes me a hypocrite,'' I shrug, a sigh leaving my lips.

''I'm not perfect Cody, I fuck up sometimes. But I'm trying to be the best person I can be for you. I don't plan on failing you like our parents did. I know that's probably what you expect from me though after all that they've put you through, and I don't blame you. But you are my brother, Cody. And that means something to me—it means everything to me.'' I say honestly, feeling my soul ache at the thought of everything he must've went through when I left him in that house.