The Better Man

•Damien's POV•

I step off the elevator, twirling my car keys around my finger as I head in the direction of Javier's office.

''Oh-wait! You can't go in there! He's in a meeting,'' Someone yells. A hand is on my shoulder in the next second, gripping gently, but halting my movements nonetheless.

I turn around to see a small woman. And when I say small, I mean short, as she couldn't have been more than five feet as she stared up at me. Her brown hair hanging in curls around her shoulders and the stern look in her bright eyes apparent.

''Mr. Stark is in a meeting, and he has asked not to be disturbed.'' She repeats.

I smile. She's cute. She looks to be in her mid-twenties or so and the black high waisted pencil skirt she's wearing is hugging her curves nicely, accenting her small waist.

Yeah, and I'm totally not checking her out.

''My eyes are up here,'' She says seriously, bringing my gaze back to her face. ''And the elevator is over there,'' She points over to the elevator I just got off of.

I laugh.

I like her, she's got some fire in her. She must be new here.

''Look, I haven't seen you around so you must be one of Javier's new assistants or—''

''I'm not new, and I'm not Javier's assistant.'' She says in an irritated tone, cutting me off. I raise a questioning brow at her. ''Do you need me to give that to him?'' She asks, gesturing towards the bag of takeout in my hand.

''Who are you again?'' I ask. Quite frankly I'm over this whole conversation.

She may be cute but she's also rude and I'm already just not in the mood to deal with human interactions today.

''Natalia,'' She says.

I nod, taking a step closer to her and offering her my hand to shake.

''I'm Damien Vitalé—''

''I know who you are,'' She says, shaking my hand, her grip firm despite how tiny her hand is compared to mines.

''So, like I was saying,'' I continue, taking my hand from hers. ''It was nice to meet you but we're not going to be friends.'' I let her know, the smile on my face just as fake as the calmness in my tone.

I walk away proceeding in the direction of Javier's office, and I can hear her high heels clanking on the floor behind me.

I reach forward, gripping the door handle of his office door and pushing it open.

I go to step in but the sight in front of me has me halting my movements.

Javier is seated at his desk, his hand wound tightly around a tie.