Vitalé In A Variance

•Cody's POV•

''Are you sure you'll be alright here until Damien gets back? I can stay if you want me to,'' Javier offers.

''No, no go catch your plane. And Skylar will be here, I'll be fine, trust me.'' I tell Javier, barely believing the depth of my own words.

I won't be fine, when am I ever fine? There's so much shit going on in my head I doubt the voices will shut up long enough for me to catch my breath.

But Javier doesn't need to know all of that.

Javier needs to get on his plane and go deal with his business.

All he needs to know is that I'm fine.

Or at least that I'm damn good at pretending to be.

''Okay, but you'll call me if you aren't right?'' He asks, more like begs of me.

I look over at him, locking my gaze with his. And something deep inside me knows that he can tell I'm lying to him. But I also know he won't push as far as to call me out on it. He feels like I've been through a lot today.

But I feel like I've been through a lot my whole life.

Today was just another walk in the park compared to other days.

''Yeah, now go,'' I tell him. I take my seat belt off, opening the car door. Skylar climbs out of the back seat of the car, but before I get out I lean back over and pull Javier into a hug. ''Thank you,'' I say, because he damn sure deserves to hear it.

''Anything for you, you know that,'' He says, hugging me back. ''I love you, I'll call you when I land.'' He says, releasing me from the hug.

''Love you too,'' I say, climbing out of the car and shutting the door.

I follow Skylar into the penthouse.

''I can sense the question bouncing around in that big head of yours, so let's skip the part where you ask it. Okay?'' I say to him once we're in the living room.

He looks at me and shrugs.

I sigh.

Well I know where this conversation is headed. To hell and back very quickly.

''Look why ask it if you know it's only going to piss me off? Why purposely try to get under my skin? Trust me Skylar, today's not the day.'' I warn him.

''I feel like you need someone to get under your skin. There's a lot of shit you're holding in right now. I can see it. You're on edge and I know you can feel it. You hold everything in thinking it's going to make you feel better. Those emotions aren't just going to vanish Cody. Accept that.'' He tells me.

I roll my eyes.

''I just came from an involuntary therapy session, I don't need you to give me shit too. And besides if you wanted me to take you seriously whatsoever you shouldn't have shoved your tongue down my throat. My respect for you died then.'' I inform him.