To Be Happy

•Damien's POV•

''You fucked up, Steven,'' I tell him seriously. Hoping that he's understanding the severity of the situation.

He needs to understand that the only reason we're even speaking right now is because he's him, and had anyone else crossed the line that he crossed yesterday I wouldn't even consider forgiving them.

He needs to get that.

''I know, I know I did and I'm-I'm so sorry.'' He says.

His eyes are puffy and pink rimmed and I can tell he did more crying than sleeping last night.

Well that makes two of us.

I take a deep breath, trying to fully understand what actions are going to follow behind the decision that I make.

I know I can live without Steven.

Obviously. I've been doing it for seven years.

But I also know that if I let him back into my life as just a friend there is always going to be that temptation to take it to the next level.

And I sincerely don't want to fuck this up with Otto.

I sigh.

I see what people mean when they say 'you can't have your cake and eat it too'.

I guess this'll just be a testament to not only my self-control but my general level of investment in my relationship.

Because I no longer have the strength to turn him away like I was trying to do yesterday.

Steven can be a part of my life.

He can be my friend. We can make this work.

''Don't do it again.'' I warn, opening my front door and stepping inside, leaving the door open so that Steven and Harrison can follow me in.

''I won't,'' He promises, ''You know I won't.''

''So you,'' I say, pointing to Harrison. I start walking forward into the living room and they follow behind me. ''What're you doing here?'' I ask him.

I take a seat on one of the sofas.

Steven and Harrison sit on the one across from me.

''So?'' I inquire, looking at Harrison.

''What you can show up at my house out of the blue but I can't return the favor?'' He jokes, giving me that goofy smirk of his.

''No,'' I answer. ''No you can't, that's what you have a best friend for right?''

''Our best friend doesn't currently have a house for me to do so. But speaking of which, I'm pretty sure you have a spare room that you wouldn't mind lending him though, right?'' He teases.