Chapter 9

Dee POV 

*

"Damn man," I muttered. This has been like the hundredth time I've called Shani and she still has me blocked. It's been a while since she came to the apartment for her book. She hadn't even come back to get it knowing the professor is a hard ass. I went to her place to drop it off and Vickie wouldn't let me in.

All I was able to do was drop the book off and leave her alone. I've even tried catching her before and after some of her classes but she's never there or I always end up missing her. It was easier when we were freshman considering we were able to manipulate our schedules enough to where we had some classes together and near each other. Now that we're in our junior year our classes focus mainly on our major and since I'm in the computer science field most of my classes are far away from hers. So it's no surprise I can't ever catch up with her. 

These past few days I've been feeling guilty about the way I came at her. I had no right to do that. After everything I did to her, I don't have the right to accuse her of anything. Maybe I should've given her the benefit of the doubt. Shani isn't the type to do anything shady. If anything that's my job. Why do I do it? Why do I-? The ringing of my phone distracted me from my thoughts. I looked at the number and saw it was my old man. 

"What's up old man?"

"Young dumb ass." I sucked my teeth. He's always talking shit. "How's it going son? I haven't heard from your stupid ass in a while."

"You're going to stop calling me stupid old man. I'm top of my class loser."

"You're book smart but dumb with everything else. It's okay son. You weren't blessed with all around intelligence like your old man."

"Yeah but I look better. Ugly ass."

"You ain't too old for an ass whooping little nigga."

"Bring it," I chuckled. "But everything's straight pops. Doing what I gotta do and all."

"That's good."

"How's the little jerk Tracey? She got a boyfriend yet?"

"Your sister is fine and no she doesn't have a boyfriend. She bet not at least."

"Facts. I'll take time off to kick some little nigga's ass."

"Yeah I bet. How's Shanice? Tracey's been asking about her."

I was hesitant in responding. "She's good. Doing her school thing as well and stuff."

"Mhmm," he said. "Dee, I'm not stupid. Tracey follows her social media and...we've seen some of the posts." Shit. "You gonna tell me what's really going on?"

"It's nothing pops. Just some rumors and stuff but we're straight."

"So those pictures of you in other girl's beds were-"

"Old. When we broke up and stuff. We're still going through the drama of it but it's nothing serious pops. Honest. We're in a bad place now because of it but we're going to get back right."

"I hope you're telling me the truth Dee. I know you have a difficult time when it comes to commitment and you let your anger about things guide you more than it should. You need to take control of things if you want them to work. Shanice is a great girl who loves you. Don't cause her pain. She won't stick around for it for long."

"We're fine pops. I promise. I'm going to make things better. I have to go but I'll keep in touch more. Thanks for the advice."

"Anytime son. Do right by that girl. She's a keeper." We hung up and I sat there thinking for a while. My pops is right. Shani is a keeper and that's what I plan to do. Keep her. She's the only girl I want. The only girl I need. 

"I'm going to fix things," I said to myself. As of right now I'm going to give her space to calm herself down and then we can talk things out. My phone dinged letting me know I got a text. It was Sandra. She was in lingerie asking me to come over. 

I don't like her because of the way she treats Shani. But she gives fire head and I need some stress reliever. It's not hurting Shani if she knows it's just physical. I love Shani with all of my heart and nobody can take her place. As long as they know their place for now we're good. 

Late short update. Hope you all liked it. Tell me what you think.