Chapter 87: Heartbreak and a Text Message

-Ava's POV-

I leave the event without saying a word to anyone. Thankfully I'm able to slip out unnoticed, there's no way I could even say a complete sentence right now without completely breaking down.

I quickly jump into one of the cars outside and request to be taken back to the hotel. Right as the driver shifts into drive the door across from me is opened and Lou slides in next to me. Well I guess I didn't get away completely unnoticed.

I don't say anything to her as the car pulls away and out onto the long driveway.

"Ava why are you leaving the party crying?" She finally asks, her voice full of worry.

I don't answer her, I'm to concerned with trying not to full out break into tears.

"You found out what he did, didn't you?"

"You knew?" I ask.

"I knew he did something. But no, I didn't know what. How bad was it?"

I'm relieved she didn't know. If she did and didn't tell me I would feel betrayed twice in one night.

She places her hand on mine, giving it a tight squeeze, "Ava, what happened?"

"I ended it." I manage to speak out just before bursting into tears.

Lou grips my hand tighter, "No, please tell me you didn't."

I can't bear to look her in the face right now. She basically wanted Harry and I to be together since day one. So instead I just nod, looking out the window so I don't have to face her as I continue to cry.

"What did he do?"

I think about how to answer her. I could in so many ways, but none of them she'd understand. Not unless I told her the whole story. Only then would she really get how I couldn't be with someone who tried to control me. But I can't tell her everything. I won't.

"He tried to take control of what should have been my choice. I know that doesn't seem like much, but having the freedom to make my own decisions means everything to me."

"Ava, it's not my place to judge what your reasons are. You're one of my best mates and I love you like a sister. I just want you to be happy."

I look away from the window and over at her, trying to force a small smile through my tears.

"He really loves you." She smiles back at me.

"Then why can't he just be with me?"

"Maybe he could if you gave him a second chance?.." She hesitantly suggests.

I shake my head at her, "I can't be in a relationship like that. Not again."

I wipe my eyes as we pull up to the hotel. Lou offers to share her room with me, but I decline, wanting to just be alone.

She stays with me as I reserve a room and grab my things from Zayn and Perrie's room. I'm pretty sure she's afraid I'm going to completely fall apart at any moment. I don't blame her, I'm afraid of the same thing.

She leaves me when the elevator gets to her floor, stepping out and stopping the doors just as they are about to close.

"Ava, I don't know anything about your past relationship. But I just want you to think about one thing. When that prick did that to you, what was his motivation?"

"What?"

"Harry may do some really wretched things when it comes to you, but you need to remember he's motivated by love. That doesn't make it right, but maybe it makes it completely different from your last relationship."

With that she lets the doors close, leaving me to think about what she said.

I slowly make my way to my room, my feet feeling heavier with each step, and my heart hurting even more so.

Did I just make a horrible mistake?

I curse myself for questioning my decision, but I can't help it. The question replays over and over in my mind as I take off my dress and pull on a tank and some sweats before sliding into bed. It feels so empty and cold without Harry next to me.

My eye lids grow heavy as I contemplate Lou's words and how true they really are.

The sun shining through my windows wakes me up and as soon as I sit up I'm reminded that I cried myself to sleep last night. I'm surrounded by tissues and my eyes feel terribly puffy. I drag myself to the bathroom to brush my teeth and wash my face, hoping to wake myself up more.

I plug my phone in and it immediately turns back on and alerts me that I have one new message.

From Harry.

I take a deep breathe before opening it, my heart hurting at the site of his name alone.

~I know you may never forgive me. But I have to let you know I will wait for you. Because honestly I don't want anyone else. -H

I hold my phone to my heart, so many emotions washing over me.

It's then I know exactly what I need to do.

I need to forgive him.

I need to tell Harry I love him.