Chapter 1 Mondays

Piper POV

I wake up to loud music coming from Amanda's room and groan. I roll over to check the time and see it's nine in the morning, I have class in an hour, but my bed is comfy. I lay in bed scrolling through my social media before getting up and dressed. "Hey Piper? Can you give me a ride to campus? I don't feel like walking today." Amanda says. I want to say no but I nod getting my keys. "I have to walk this far?" She complains. "This is where I park so..." Amanda huffs and gets her backpack before getting out and walking with me rambling about her weekend and how wasted she got and all the guys she made out with. 

"Sounds great uh I have to get to class," I say and disappear down a path. I keep walking keeping one of my earbuds out so I can hear if I'm going to get run over by a bike or not. "Pip!" I turn knowing the childhood nickname I turn and see my best friend Luke. He tips down his sunglasses "Where you headed?"

 "Class." I say

 "How the rooming situation? He asks. 

"She's annoying I'll tell you that." 

"Still?" I nod. 

 "When do you get out of class?" I ask. 

"Eh noon? Want to meet up?" I ask. "I'll text you when I'm out of class." He says. "Ok see you!" I begin walking backward in the opposite direction and get to my class. I push open the heavy door to the lecture hall and find a seat in the back. "You're on time for once!" My friend Sara says. 

"Yeah amazing right?"  I reply.

"You busy after class?" She asks.

"Yeah meeting up with an old friend of mine for lunch." I open up my laptop and go onto my google docs waiting for my professor to show up. 

I sit through my lecture and try my best to pay attention despite staying up late. I stifle back a yawn as my professor drones on and on. The sound of the movement signals that class is over. "See you Wednesday," Sara says. "See you then," I  reply shoving my laptop in my backpack. I get out my seat and wait for the sea of students to go up the stairs before joining the crowd. I get stuck in the mob of students leaving the building as I pull my phone out my pocket to see a text from Luke.

Are you out of class yet?

Just leaving class now, where you want to meet

I'm at the library right now and I saved us a table

Awesome I'll see you soon 

I  plug my earbuds in and scroll through my playlist as I try to find an opening in the sea of people I'm currently stuck in the middle in. I look around trying to figure out where I am before figuring it out and head in the direction of the library. 

"Piper over here!" I turn and notice I completely walked past him. "You looked so focused." He jokes as I sit down in the chair opposite of him. "Not really just trying to get out of the crowd, you know how passing period is," I say. "I  do." He drums his fingers against the table. "You want some coffee?"  I glance at the line and frown seeing how long it is. "It's way too long, do you have a class after this?" 

"Nope, you want to go somewhere?" He asks "You want to get some lunch? I'm starving."  

"Sure let's go." 

"I love this place cause no one knows about it." I say as we slide into a booth of my favorite bakery. "It's very homey also all the books is a nice touch," Luke says looking at all the bookshelves. "Yep,  so how have you been? I feel like I  haven't seen you in forever."  I say resting my arms on the table.  

"Good, got through my first year of college mostly without a hitch, I  spent my summer back home  which was nice." 

"I've been meaning to go to Sydney for years now." 

"Let me know I'd love to show you around." He smiles. "I'd like that."  My phone buzzes in  my pocket. "You can check it." He says noticing the look I'm giving him. "I just don't want to be rude."

"I know." He says. I check it and see a text from my mom and quickly type back a reply. " I was wondering would you wanna hang out this weekend? We hardly see each other and I miss seeing you." He says smiling. "You know I'm antisocial but I'm down." 

"Great I'll text you, I should get going class for me is across campus."

"With those long legs, it shouldn't take you long to get there." He laughs. "Very funny." He taps my foot with his. 

"My class is  close," I say getting up. "I'll walk you there then." He says getting up and pushing his chair in. "Perfect." I slide on my backpack and wait for Luke before we head out.  "Why is your head like that?"

"Like what?"

"When you look up at me your head is practically on your shoulders." He laughs.

"Cause you're so damn tall that's why," I say and crack my neck and look down at the ground. He laughs really hard at this making me giggle. "Your laugh is so freaking cute," I reply glancing over at him.  

"Thanks, It's loud as hell which makes me self conscious but.." 

"Is this the building?" He asks nodding to the building next to me. "Yeah, but text me when you want to hang out ok?" 

"For sure, have a good day Piper."  "Thanks."  I  wave before going into the building and into the big lecture hall.