Chapter 3

"Enough idle chit chat, you have a squad to lead." Tsunade concluded after giving most of the details I needed for the mission. 

"How many people in the squad?" I asked, it was something she kept avoiding in our conversation. She looked at me then to her papers, she really was avoiding the question. "Tsunade? Did you hear what I said?" 

"A little over two hundred shinobi will be under your command." I rolled my eyes, she better be joking with me right now. I laughed out loud before responding to her question. "You're funny, I thought you were being serious for a minute!" 

"Hailey I'm not joking, you are to lead them into battle and strategize accordingly. You're leader of the unique skills division, we've seen the skills you and thought this division would suit you well." I felt something drop in my heart, I was going to be responsible for over two hundred lives. Could I handle all that pressure? 

"What made you pick me? I am abrasive and make on edge and rushed decisions, most of which aren't the right thing to do." My analyzation of myself seemed to baffle her, she was taken back and looked me in the eyes. "You give yourself far too little credit, we've even gotten Kakashi's and Shikamaru's opinion on the matter. You can think on on your toes and have plenty of on field experience."

"I think I need to rethink my pep talks a bit."  I  asserted in a low tone, my voice steadying with each word. "I'm afraid we might not have that much time, you are to head straight to the squads immediately."

"Understood. I'll leave now." I turned on my heel, headed for the door, but then something dawned on me.

"Where is exactly am I headed?" I sheepishly asked, my arm going to the back of my head. Tsunade rolled her eyes, then the door open. 

I looked over the man with the mask over his face, and his gravity defying hair. A smile overtook my features as I launched myself towards the man. "Kakashi!" 

"I swear everytime I see you, you somehow get more energetic with the greetings." He inquired, but underneath his mask I could tell he was smiling. "Kakashi here will take you to the battle fronts." 

"Hai!" I shouted, eager yet hesitant to lead a squad that could be considered an army. As we were about to step through the doorway I stopped mid way and turned back to Tsunade. 

She looked confused as I looked towards the window placed behind her, an all knowing smirk made its way onto my face. "Fuck it! Old habits die hard!" 

I lunged from my once filled spot towards the window, hurtling myself through the air I jumped through the window. About halfway down I hugged my legs close to my chest and exclaimed, "Cannon ball!" 

I smiled all the way to the ground, or so I thought, I was stopped mid fall by Kakashi grabbing onto my cloak. He was standing on the side of the building chakra blazing in his feet. 

"Hailey please don't make us rethink our design." He necessitated through his voice with a sigh. I gasped playfully and crossed my arms, my body still dangling from my cloak. 

"Me?" I pointed to myself with a disappointing look, "never." 

"Oh lords above please give me the strength to deal with her." I snorted at his plea, then back flipped to the ground.

"Like the lords above will listen to you, after all the... let's say sinful, things you read in the presence of genin."

He took on a face of mortification, which led to him losing his concentration and left to plummet to the earth below. In a moment of gratitude my eyes flashed a brown color, the earth meeting Kakashi with a softer landing than he would've had. 

"The lords don't have time for sinners like us." I extended my hand towards him with a small smile. He outstretched his arm, but quickly retracted his hand. "This isn't some kind of test where you try to read my mind right?" 

"I'm starting to think that being nice isn't the best thing for me. I think I like being a bitch ten times better." I huffed out as I extended my hand once again, only this time accepted my offer and pulled himself to his feet. 

"You know it's kind of weird, you just disappear every now and then, sometimes without a word." Kakashi addressed, my brow raising at his words. 

"What'cha mean?" I questioned, my mind seemingly coming to different conclusions. "Nevermind we need to get to the battlefield, the Kazekage is waiting for us so we can begin the war." 

I looked at him hesitantly, before I decided to just drop the matter. Our walk was in utter silence, neither one of us daring to break it. 

I sighed, letting my cloak flow freely behind me. My hair following in suit, my loose cascades of lavender hair blowing in the unusually heavy wind.

My nose crinkled in disgust as the all familiar smell of blood filled my sense of smell. "Kakashi, we've got company, about three miles ahead I can smell blood." 

I stopped completely and motioned for Kakashi to do the same. He did as I silently instructed and stopped mid step. 

"I can hear monotone heartbeats, assuming they are on the ground from the way the sound vibrates. About six miles ahead I can hear heavy footsteps, they are carrying a heavy weapon. There is two sets of footsteps one heavier than the last." I concluded my observations seem to be accurate. 

"You sure haven't lacked in training, let's just hope you medical abilities are the same." I scoffed at his undertone. "You act like you've never met me, of course I haven't skipped out on my training."