Chapter 4

"I thought you forgot about me." He breathed looking up into my eyes.
"Never." I sighed shaking my head before I sat down across from him.
"Was I just another job to you?" He asked.
"No. I'd be lying if I said it didn't start out that way but when I first heard your voice I was captivated. When you caught my eye in the crowd I was intrigued. Everything after that was real. It had been a long time since I've been able to be myself around someone new."
"What do you mean?" He asked.
"With my work keeping my identity a secret is extremely important."
"So, why run? Why tell me now?"
"Things have changed. My cover was under Drake Blair but I work directly for Director Scott Walker essentially as an assassin." I leaned forward and lowered my voice.
"So, you were sent to kill me?"
"No. I was sent to protect you."
"Protect me? From what?"
"The woman with different colored eyes. My boss thinks that Drake Blair is working for her."
"So, what do we do?" He asked looking down.
"It interests me that you haven't asked me when you're getting out of here considering I'm clearly not missing."
"There's clearly a reason you're hiding from this guy. It didn't escape me that they ran off before you showed up."
"It's not your job to protect me." I countered.
"Maybe it is. Maybe it's my turn."
"You're in prison." I sighed.
"If this is where I need to be in order for you to be safe. What do you think he'll do if he finds you?" He asked already knowing the answer.
"He'll likely try to kill me. The unit I work for is made up of a small group of elite agents from Virginia and New York as well as myself."
"Are you the only one that..."
"Kills people? Yes. I have a... unique skillset."
"How so?"
"My mother was an assassin and a spy for the German government who trained me in her various skills. I shot a gun for the first time when I was four years old. I was an expert shot before I was twelve. The rest came naturally. I have a black belt in mixed martial arts and persuasion comes easily to me after watching my mother as I was growing up."
"What about your father?" He asked.
"I never knew him. My mother worked differently than I do. They called her 'Praying Mantis' because she would sleep with all of her marks before she killed them; my father included. You'd think she'd be my reason for doing this but she isn't. Honestly we were never close. I was more of her solider than her daughter. The entirety of my high school years I dated a boy; Chase Stone. We got married when we turned eighteen. I was born Kaitlyn Abbott. We weren't married a year before the people she worked for tracked him down... Apparently just shooting him wouldn't have sent me the right message. They held him for weeks sending me videos of how they were torturing him before they started sending me body parts. That's when Scott approached me and asked me to work for him. I figured the more terrorists and killers I could take off the streets the better. I could honor Chase that way but the government itself doesn't look kindly on assassins when they get caught."
Jonathan looked at me awestruck.
"I'm surprised you told me all that." He said.
"I told you. There's just something about you. You really are magic." I sighed as my phone rang.
"Stone." I answered.
"Get out. Now." Scott's voice said.
I hung up and looked at Jonathan.
"I have to go. I'll come back if I can."
"Go. I'll be okay. Find Cameron. He'll help you."
I nodded and looked at him sadly before I snuck out of the interview room and could hear Drake Blair's voice from around the corner. I barely managed to squeeze myself into a small hallway and press my back against the wall before he and his team came around the corner.
"Where did she go?" He yelled, I assumed at Jonathan.
I heard fist hit flesh before I ran from my hiding place back towards the room Jonathan was in. I slammed my fist against the door as I ran to pull their attention away from him.
"Get her!" He yelled as the group chased me out of the prison towards the parking lot.
I heard gunshots behind me as I continued to run away from my vehicle since they didn't know which one I had.
"Ah!" I screamed out as a bullet ripped through my right shoulder.
I didn't stop running until the prison was out of sight and I felt safe enough to circle back towards the parking lot to retrieve my car.
I leaned heavily against a tree overlooking Attica Correctional Facility's parking lot biding my time until it was safe to make a run for it.
Finally I watched Drake Blair leave the prison surrounded by a group of agents. They all climbed into a black SUV and drove away. Carefully I ran towards my silver Toyota and started driving. Once I was about ten miles away I pulled off the highway and found a towel in the backseat to tie around my wound until I could get help.
Finding "The Archive" wasn't too hard but making myself go ring the doorbell was. How could I ask Cameron Black to help me? After running put his brother in prison?
Blair will call him a potential domestic terrorist and that'll give him the right to hold him as long as necessary without a trial, but if I don't get help soon I'll bleed out.
I sighed and opened my car stumbling out into the street. It was near midnight so the streets in the neighborhood were deserted. I forced myself to my feet and made my way to the front door of "The Archive".
I swallowed hard and rang the doorbell incessantly. I could hear someone on the other side of the door fussing with the locks.
"I'm coming. I'm coming." A muffled voice said.
Then the door opened and Cameron Black caught me as I fell against him.
"Oh my God. What happened?" He asked helping me inside.
"I'm Kaitlyn Stone. Jonathan said you could help me."