Chapter 14

KAITLYN STONE
Jonathan was released a couple of days later and he and Cameron agreed to come back to my home in upstate New York.
"This place is huge." Jonathan said walking through the living room.
"It's definitely something." I sighed.
"I don't spend very much time here."
"Is there a reason for that?" He asked.
"I don't spend very much time anywhere since Chase died." I shrugged.
"There's just never been much of a reason for me to stay in one place."
He walked up to me almost cautiously.
"I want to change that for you. I want to be your reason."
"I want that too but it's going to take time. I'm not used to letting people in and it's only ever brought me pain."
"I'm here to support you. No matter what that means."
"I want to be with you but I need to take it slow. Especially emotionally."
"I can't imagine how hard it was for you to lose your husband that way. I'm willing to wait as long as you need."
"I haven't done anything in my life to deserve you." I sighed placing my hands on his hips.
"Nor have I done anything in mine to deserve you."
"I'm no prize."
"You're the first person I've been with that made me feel like my own man. Sure, Dina knew who I was but our whole relationship was Cameron and Jonny because she worked on the show with us. With you, even though I didn't know you knew I wasn't Cameron, I could feel it. You were different. You are different. I know you don't see it but you're so special."
I looked up into his face as he leaned down slowly asking for permission with his eyes before he pressed his lips to mine. Carefully I moved my arms to wrap around his neck pulling him closer to me.
"Get a room, why don't you?" Cameron exclaimed walking into the room.
"Don't forget whose house you're in Mr. Black." I teased leaning into Jonathan as gently as I could.
"I just don't really want to watch my brother make out with his girlfriend in the living room."
"Is that what you are? My girlfriend?" Jonathan asked looking down at me.
"I suppose it is. I haven't been someone's girlfriend in a decade." I answered smiling at him.
"Will it change how you do your job?" He asked.
"No. Not really. The way I was with you in New York was a special case."
"I have a question about Scott?" Cameron asked hoping up on the counter next to us.
"What about him?" I asked.
"Did he know your mother worked for Germany when he met her?"
"No. He didn't find out until after she died."
"So, what did he think she did?"
"My mother's cover was a high school German teacher. That's what she continued doing after she stopped killing people."
"You were born here?"
"Yes. In Maine in 1992."
"So you could run for president?"
"If I had any interest in politics I suppose I could, yes." I laughed.
"Could we sit?" Jonathan asked leaning into me.
"Of course. I'm sorry." I said gently guiding him over to the couch.
"Sorry, Kaitlyn." He sighed.
"No. I'm sorry. You were hurt very badly. You need to rest." I assured him.
"Why don't you two watch TV and I'll make dinner?"
"You cook?" Cameron asked.
"I do a lot more than kill people." I smiled at him.
"I'll get the bedrooms set up after we eat. The other agents are also keeping an eye on the house while working with Dina, Jordan, and Gunter on the mystery woman angle and other leads."
I watched from the kitchen as Jonathan and Cameron slept on the couch while I cleaned up after dinner before setting up two bedrooms on the first floor of my house.
"Cameron? Cameron, wake up. Help me get you to bed." I urged.
I knew that Cameron didn't sleep too much more than I did while Jonathan was missing and in the hospital.
"Where's Jonathan?" He asked as I laid him in the bed before taking off his shoes.
"He's still on the couch. I'm going to go get him now. Get some sleep, Cameron." I answered gently.
He nodded and settled into his sheets. I chuckled and left him to sleep closing the door behind me.
Jonathan still slept on the couch when I returned to the living room. I shut off the television before turning to him.
"Jonny? Jonathan? I'm going to move you to the bedroom, okay?" I asked.
He opened his eyes and looked at me.
"I can walk. Are you going to stay with me?" He asked looking up at me.
"If that's what you need I will." I answered.
"I don't sleep much."
"Scott said you don't sleep much because you don't feel safe."
"I suppose that's true. It's hard to feel safe sometimes."
"Come lay with me?" He urged.
"Of course."
I lead him to the bedroom I set up for him and helped him take off his shirt. His chest was one giant black and blue bruise from the broken ribs.
"How is your pain?" I asked urging him to lay down.
"I'm okay." He sighed.
"Do you want a pain pill before you sleep again?"
He shook his head.
"Okay. If you change your mind don't hesitate to let me know."
He nodded and reached for me.
"Let me shut off the light and I'll come to bed." I assured him.
I laid on my back in the bed so he could turn onto his side so I could hold him.
I slowed my breathing to match his as he started to drift back to sleep.
"Can I tell you something without you getting mad?" He asked.
"Of course." I muttered running my fingers through his hair.
"He tried to rape me." He said.
"What?" I looked down into his eyes that were searching mine for any semblance of the rage I felt.
"You're mad." He sighed.
"I'm not mad at you. Jonathan, you didn't do anything wrong." I assured him gently.
"You don't have to worry about him anymore. I'm going to make sure he never touches you again. He's never going to hurt you again."
"I know." He sighed and cuddled closer to me.
I calmed my breathing again and synced my heartbeat to his as he finally drifted to sleep there in my arms.