Chapter 32

JONATHAN BLACK
Cameron looked at me when we got into the silver four door sedan Conrad Hawkins rented when he flew in from Atlanta to visit my girlfriend.
"Where are the damn keys?" I asked exasperated looking around.
Cameron handed them to me.
"You mean these? You didn't even grab them from Conrad. What is going on with you?" He asked.
"I don't know. I'm just angry."
"Because she didn't tell you about him?"
"I don't know. Maybe." I sighed staring out the windshield.
"I didn't like the way he touched her."
"You mean the way he comforted her? Jonny, you've never been the jealous type."
"I'm not jealous." I insisted.
"Uh huh. Sure, you aren't." He sighed looking out the window.
"I'm not! She can be friends with whoever she wants."
"Then what are you doing?" He looked back at me.
"I don't know! Damnit! I've never felt like this before. I've never cared so much about someone before. This guy comes in and he knows her. He really knows her. Probably better than anyone. Certainly better than me. How do I compete with the kind of history they must have? Kay called him because she was struggling and you saw how she reacted to seeing him. You saw." I rambled angrily.
"She told me she didn't have any friends."
"She's been trying to protect him. It's probably second nature for her to not admit knowing him."
I hated that Cameron was being the logical one for once. It's been so ingrained in her to protect the people in her life. They knew about Chase and they killed him. They knew about Scott and they killed him. They knew about me and they tried to kill me. How fair am I being to her? For that matter, how fair am I being to Conrad? I don't know him. I don't know his history with Kaitlyn. He was a Marine. Just like Kaitlyn. He at least deserves my respect.
I sighed causing Cameron to look back at me.
"Maybe you're right... Maybe I'm not giving Conrad a real chance. Maybe I am jealous. I'm not accustomed to her having other people around for her to lean on. It's not fair for me to expect her to only have me. It's not fair for me to expect her to remain isolated."
"He might have known her longer but you heard him, Jonathan. She's like his sister. He's protective of her. It's understandable. They served in Afghanistan together. That's a powerful bond."
"Yeah. I guess it is."
"You should talk to Kaitlyn. Find out about what they've been through. I'm sure if you ask she'll tell you."
"And if she doesn't or can't?" I inquired glancing at him.
"Then give her time. She'll confide in you. She has about other things, hasn't she?"
"Well, yeah... I just can't shake that there's more to their relationship."
"Maybe there was but I don't see anything now. He's protective of her. There's a reason."
I pondered this for a moment as I pulled into Kaitlyn's driveway and noticed that her car wasn't there.
Inside Kay, Dina, Mike, Jordan and Gunter were working around the dining room table.
"Has Kaitlyn been home yet?' I asked looking at Kay.
"No. I thought she was with you?" She answered looking up at us.
"She was but Conrad met us at the warehouse." I answered staring at her.
"You're upset I called him?" She observed.
"I just don't understand." I sighed.
"When Kaitlyn and Conrad met she'd just lost Chase and he'd just lost his mom. If she went on an assignment he would go too. They were stationed together for the entire time they were in the Marines." She explained.
"Did they ever sleep together?" I asked causing everyone to look at me.
"I don't know. If they did it's between them."
"She's with me now. I deserve to know."
"Then you should ask her instead of trying to find things out behind her back." She answered harshly.
"They're close. They've been through a lot and they've been there for each other. That's why I called him. She needs all the support she can get."
I sighed and walked away from the table to sit in the living room and think. Not even Cameron followed me.
I'd never been the jealous type but something about this guy just pissed me off. I knew both Cameron and Kay were right. I should just talk to her. She's trusted me and we've really had a connection.
I turned the television on and the news flashed across the screen. There was a major accident on interstate 495. Looked like a white pickup dangling from the overpass.
"Sources on the scene tell us that Director Kaitlyn Stone is on the scene working with an unknown doctor to try to remove the driver from the pickup's cab." The reporter said as the camera panned over to show the truck.
I could see Conrad take the driver from Kaitlyn and pull him over the railing as the pickup teetered precariously with her still inside. The truck began to fall over the overpass as Conrad appeared over the railing catching Kaitlyn's hand. I stared at the television in horror as she hung over the overpass, dangling from his hand.