Chapter 27

KAITLYN STONE
When I got home Jonathan and Cameron were sitting at the table seemingly lost in whatever they were doing.
"Your girlfriend's here." Cameron said looking up at me.
"Hi, Cam." I smiled at him.
I kissed Jonathan on the cheek.
"I'll be upstairs if either of you need anything. I need a shower."
"Are you hungry?' He asked turning to look at me.
"I'll find something later." I said before I gently kissed his lips.
"Are you sure? I can make you something?"
"I'm not going to turn it down if you want to make dinner but you look busy here."
"A little but I want to cook for you." He smiled.
"Okay then. I'll be back after I shower."
The heat from the water slowly relaxed my muscles as I stood beneath the shower stream. I stepped out of the shower a half hour later and wrapped myself in a towel before stepping back into our bedroom to dress in black sweatpants and a white tank top. I decended the stairs and found Jonathan and Cameron still sitting at the table. I smiled at Jonathan when he looked up at me.
"Shit. Katie, I'm so sorry." He sighed.
"No need to be sorry. What are you working on?" I asked walking over to the refrigerator and finding left over pizza.
"It's a new illusion for a new act we're planning." Jonathan beamed at me.
"Wonderful." I smiled at him.
"You don't think we should pull back from the performances?"
"Not particularly. I just want you to do what you want to do. Whatever that is, you have my unconditional support."
I popped the pizza in the microwave and turned back to look at them.
"I think I want to go to culinary school." He said looking down.
"That sounds perfect for you. You said in the office today that you like cooking." I smiled at him again.
"I wouldn't be out of school for four years?"
"Whatever you want to do I support you. Whatever you need from me you've got it."
"I don't really need anything. I just wanted your opinion."
"My opinion is that you'll be amazing at whatever you decide to do and I'm sure culinary school will be a wonderful opportunity for you."
He gave his brother an 'I told you so' look before looking up at me.
I pulled my warmed pizza from the microwave and walked back over to the table to kiss Jonathan on the top of his head.
"I'm going upstairs with my pizza to watch true crime shows in bed. Have fun with this. Goodnight, Cameron." I said looking back at him before walking up the stairs.
Later that night I laid in bed with my crumb coated plate on the side table in front of me, half asleep with the TV on when Jonathan came to bed. I felt him wrap his arms around me and pull me back against his chest.
"I'm sorry if I seemed preoccupied tonight." He gently kissed the skin behind my ear.
"You don't need to apologize. Your work with Cameron is just as important as my work is." I sighed leaning back into him.
"Well, I don't know if I'd call it just as important. You save lives. We make things disappear and tie each other up hanging from our ankles for the public's amusement."
I giggled.
"It's important to you though, right?"
"It is."
"Then it's just as important to you as mine is to me."
"Fair enough." He snuggled closer to me and we fell asleep to the sound of each other's heartbeat.
The next morning I walked into the office and found a man sitting outside my office door.
"Director Stone, this is Jackson Morgan from the CIA." Melissa introduced us.
"To what do I owe the pleasure, Mr. Morgan." I asked shaking his hand after he stood up.
"Just Jack is fine, Madame Director."
"Kaitlyn." I said.
"May we speak privately?" He asked.
"Of course. Right this way."
I ushered him into my office and took my place behind the desk.
"Do you recognize this woman?"

He laid a picture in front of me

"No. Should I?" I asked looking at it.
"Not necessarily. Scott Walker was working with us to try and discover her identity. She's suspected in over twenty homicides and he believed that she was after Cameron and Jonathan Black last year. Seeing as the twins now live in your home..."
"They stay at the house, yes."
"We just have intel that she isn't finished going after them."
"So what do you need from me?"
"You're the director of the FBI. I'm the deputy director of the CIA. If we work together we can protect the twins and stop her from hurting anyone else. Just like when I worked with Director Walker, you'll be the lead. We just want to get her off the streets. We know about you Director Stone. It was a mutual decision between Scott and I that you use your talents for us."
I didn't speak, just looked at him. Scott had never mentioned anything with the CIA.
"He spoke very highly of you, Kaitlyn."
"You really think she's after them?" I asked looking up at him as he sat across from me.
"We have good intel. I wouldn't have come here if I didn't believe that. Is there a place where your team and mine can meet? I'll bring all of our intel and we'll share everything."
"Cameron and Jonathan are a part of our team." I raised an eyebrow at him.
"All the better. It's best that they know everything we know to be able to keep themselves safe while we track her down. We don't want them putting their lives on hold."
"I have a warehouse space in Manhattan. I'll send you the address and gather the team tomorrow night."
"I look forward to working with you, Kaitlyn." He said standing up.
"And I you." I sighed.
As he walked out I looked at my phone.
An hour later Wyatt, Kay and Mike stood in my office after I explained my meeting with Jack.
"When do we start?" Kay asked sitting down across from me.
"We'll see what information they have tomorrow night at the warehouse."
"Can you get Cameron and Jonathan on board?" Wyatt asked.
"I'm almost certain I can. They'll do anything to protect each other."
"I'm in." Mike said.
"Me too. Whatever you need." Wyatt added.
"I think we'll keep this on a need to know basis until further notice."
They nodded their agreement.
"Let's get started."