Chapter 36

KAITLYN STONE 2013 AFGHANISTAN
When the door burst open and the men separated Conrad and I, I couldn't help but scream his name. One of the men punched him knocking him to the ground before ripping him off the ground by his hair and fastening shackles around his wrists.
I had been thoroughly confused when I woke up in his arms but I understood it now. I knew what they were going to do. They were unsatisfied by our response to our own torture and mutilation. We were Marines after all. They hoped that we wouldn't be able to hold back our knowledge if they forced us to watch the torture they would inflict upon the other.
"Conrad. Conrad, look at me." I urged him as they trussed him up against the wall.
I could finally see the full extent of his injuries. He was covered in welts and bruises just as I was. I'd seen the bruises on his face when he looked down at me when I came to but they traveled down his neck and spread across his bare chest before they disappeared under his waistband.
"No matter what happens, do not tell them anything. Do you hear me? I can handle it. Conrad, I love you. No matter what." I told him when his eyes met mine.
His eyes widened in understanding but he nodded.
Figuring out their plan earned me a uppercut to the stomach knocking me to my knees. Yet another captor kicked me in the face knocking me onto my back.
"Kaitlyn!" I heard Conrad scream my name but I couldn't answer.
Blood from my freshly broken nose flooded my airway as I choked on it.
"You think you can take it?" One of our captors asked in a thick middle eastern accent leaning down to stare into my eyes.
I spit blood into his eyes in a show of defiance earning me a knife in my ribs. I was helpless but to scream out his name.
KAITLYN STONE PRESENT
"Kaitlyn. Kaitlyn?" Conrad's voice came to me as my shoulder shook softly.
I gasped as I woke up and threw myself up into a sitting position. My breathing came fast and hard as I looked around my bedroom, Conrad's hands still on my shoulders.
I squeezed my eyes shut trying to regain my bearings as Conrad started gently rubbing my shoulders bringing me back to reality.
"I haven't dreamt about it in so long." I murmured finally laying my forehead against his shoulder.
He gently rubbed my back but said nothing. There really was nothing to say. We'd said it all to one another a million times via text or over the phone. It was different being in his arms again. It was all the comfort I needed.
I took a few deep breaths taking in his scent. He smelled the same as he did three years ago when we'd said goodbye before he began his internship at Chastain. It took me back. It took me home.
"I don't think Jonathan is pleased you called out my name." Conrad whispered.
"Probably not. I was dreaming about Afghanistan so calling out any other name would have been weird. When I met him that night in New York it felt so right and when I found out he was pulled into my world by Blair I thought it was a sign that I was meant to be with him but seeing you and then seeing how jealous he is and violent. I'm an assassin but I never hurt anyone without a valid reason. I don't know what to do, Conrad." I sighed my head still against his shoulder.
He sighed too.
"I didn't come here to disrupt your relationship."
"I know you didn't. I just don't know how I can do this with him. He punched you before he even knew about our relationship. That's not who I thought he was."
I pulled back away from him and looked into his light brown eyes. The eyes I woke up to for a year an a half before we were captured, the eyes that offered me solace for the last year of our captivity, and the eyes that broke me as he said goodbye. They still held love for me now.
Conrad leaned back on his hand as Jonathan slammed through the bedroom door seemingly fully expecting to find us in a compromising position.
"Get out." He said to Conrad but looking at me.
"He doesn't need to go anywhere." I said locking eyes with him.
It didn't scare me that he might hurt me but it was clear he was used to being in charge in a relationship and that wouldn't work with me. I'd warned him when we started this.
"Then I'm leaving." He threatened.
"Is this a 'you have to chose' thing?" I chuckled.
"Yes." He challenged.
"If you want to leave I'm not going to stop you. I'm not a chaser. Ask Conrad. I didn't chase him after three years why would you think I'd chase you after three weeks?" I asked.
"You're a grown man. If you're too insecure to be with me then go. You know where the front door is."
He just stared at me a long while before turning on his heel and walking away.
I shook my head and sighed as Conrad and I heard the front door slam as Cameron called after his brother. I heard footsteps on the stairs and a gentle knock on the doorjamb.
"Yes, Cameron?" I called calmly.
"What did he say?" He asked leaning against the bedroom door.
"He slammed through the door like he'd catch me cheating then gave me an ultimatum. I'm not the type to get pushed around, Cameron." I answered looking at him.
Cameron shook his head.
"I knew he'd screw it up. Are you still going to help us find her?" He asked fear in his eyes.
"Of course I am. Starting the first week of March I have to travel to each of the FBI field offices to check out the facilities and introduce myself to the directors of the field offices who will be reporting directly to me monthly but Kay and Mike will be here to work directly with your team. Do me favor and make sure he knows we're done? I don't take breaks because he's jealous and insecure about me." I answered with a sigh.
"I completely understand, Kaitlyn. I'm grateful to you for saving him. I don't know what's gotten into him."
"Nor do I but your team is welcome to stay here even if I'm not here. It's a safe place."
Cameron nodded with a sad smile and walked back downstairs. Conrad just looked at me for a moment.
"I'll go back to Atlanta when you start traveling." He said simply.
"Sounds good." I smiled at him.
"Are you okay?" He asked cautiously.
"I'm fine, Conrad. I don't have time to get depressed over a three week relationship with a man who jumped to conclusions about me with secondhand information. I have to keep moving. Crimes aren't going to solve themselves."