Chapter 38

KAITLYN STONE
Conrad and I decided we'd go house hunting when I returned from New York after Jonathan's trial.
From what Jonathan told Cameron he was at a bar when a woman approached him. They talked for an hour or so and decided to go back to her home for the night. It wasn't until he was behind the wheel that he looked at her and noticed that her eyes were different colors. He accidentally veered into on coming traffic and overcorrected slamming into the guardrail losing conciousness. When he came to he found a body in the middle of the road and was immediately surrounded by police cars.
Conrad understood that I wasn't flying back to be with Jonathan but because Ms. Blair had made an appearance for the first time in about a year and it was important for me to help put her in prison.
I took the FBI's private jet from Atlanta to New York and drove straight out to Attica Correctional Facility where Jonathan was being housed before trial.
"Kaitlyn." Cameron smiled sadly when I walked into the prison.
"Cameron." I sighed looking at him.
"When was the last time you slept?"
"Uh... The night begins the accident? I think." He shrugged.
"Does he know I'm here?" I asked.
"He doesn't even know I called you." He shook his head.
"Shall we?"
He nodded and lead me down the hallway to a visitation room. Jonathan's eyes widened when I walked into the room behind Cameron.
"I told you not to call her." He growled at Cameron.
"This is my fight. I have a right to be here." I said.
"I'm the one about to go to prison." He shot at me drawing the attention of the guard.
He looked at me and I raised my hand indicating that I was fine and didn't want him to intervene.
"Are you finished throwing your fit? I'm not the enemy here." I asked calmly.
"Cameron called because he thought I could help and maybe I can but not if you're going to keep fighting against me." I continued when he just stared at me.
"You're the one that said it was over." He whispered.
"You're the one that walked out." I countered.
"I'm not here for this. I'm here to try to keep you out of prison." I shook my head.
He sighed.
"Fine. What do we do?"
"I have to talk to your attorney about the evidence they have against you and go from there." I sighed.
He nodded but refused to meet my eye. I looked up over at Cameron who nodded at me.
I decided to leave and let the twins talk. I called Conrad on my way back to my home.
"Hey there." He answered immediately.
"Hey. I miss you already." I sighed.
"I know, sweetheart. I can't wait to have you back in my arms. How did the meeting go?"
"About as well as could be expected, I guess. He would barely look at me."
"The best thing to do is to ignore that. Did you tell him about us?"
"Not yet. He was already fuming when I walked in. I want to at least see all the the evidence before I piss him off some more." I sighed pulling into my driveway.
"Kaitlyn, you don't have to placate him." He said gently.
"I know. I just want this to go smoothly so I can get back to you."
"I've never known you to not make waves." He chuckled.
"Normally that's against my enemies. He's not the enemy, Conrad and he's in this situation because of me."
"It's not your fault he walked out. He'd have been with you if he hadn't."
"I guess. Anyway, how was your first day of your third year residency?" I asked climbing out of the car and walking into the house.
"It was just another day at Chastain to be completely honest. We're getting a new group of interns at the end of June. That's when it'll really get interesting."
I laughed as I sat down at the dining room table.
"Will you be back by then?" He asked.
"I'm hoping to be back well before then but trials are fickle things. They could try to draw it out if they still need to build the case. I'll know more tomorrow after I meet with his attorney."
"Is that Kaitlyn?" Nic's voice asked in the background.
"It is." He answered a smile playing in his voice.
"Tell her I said hi." She called further away.
"Hi, Nic!" I said cheerfully.
"I'm still at the hospital." He chuckled.
"I figured as much." I answered happily.
"Oh, babe. I got to go. Call me in the morning?" He asked.
"Go on doctor. I'll call when I leave the attorney's office." I answered.
"Goodnight, Kaitlyn."
"Goodnight, Conrad."
The next morning I met with Alyce Gilbert, Jonathan's defense attorney who presented me with the case against him and unfortunately it was solid.
"So, you think I did it?" Jonathan asked sitting in front of me.
"No. I think she spent the year since I killed her father planning this to a T and I'm not sure I can beat it. Make no mistake, this is just as much an attack on me as it is an attack on you." I sighed and looked away from him.
"You should know I'm back with Conrad. It started just before Christmas. I've decided to move to Atlanta and work out of the FBI field office there." I told him.
He nodded but didn't say anything.
"I did notice that there is about a twenty minute break in the surveillance video from the time the car slammed into the guardrail until just before you got out of the car. I'd bet money that's where the evidence to exonerate you will be."
"Can you find it?" He asked looking up at me.
"I have a technical analyst examining the actual video recording and another examining the traffic camera system itself. I'm confident that they'll find it but it'll take some time. I don't know how much technical experience she has."
He sighed looking back down at the table.
"It broke my heart to see him so defeated." I told Conrad over the phone that night lying in my bed.
"I know, baby." He said gently.
"The trial starts tomorrow and I don't think I can beat her." I sighed.
"Just take it day by day and don't get ahead of yourself. You're the best there is. Don't forget that."
"You're right." I sighed again.
"Of course I am. I'm never wrong." He joked.
"God, I miss you." I whispered.
"I miss you too, Kaitlyn. So much."
Watching the prosecution tear Jonathan's character down again and again, painting him as a murderer as opposed to a man who got into an accident.
Thankfully the judge allowed the jury to consider the lesser charge of involuntary manslaughter as opposed to first degree murder.
After the nearly six month long trial the jury came back convicting Jonathan of the lesser charge of involuntary manslaughter and sentencing him to ten years in Attica Correctional Facility.