Chapter 13

JONATHAN BLACK
I watched her leave and it tore my heart even though I knew she wasn't actually leaving.
"You really care about her, don't you?" Dina asked walking into the room.
"I really do." I sighed looking up at her.
"I can see that she cares about you too. Even as injured as she is her main concern is you and Cameron."
"I never wanted to hurt you, Dina, but the way I feel with her. It's electric and it was immediate."
"I was so worried that she just used you for one night and took off but I think I understand why she left. It can't be easy for her to let someone in again. I want so badly to blame her for this. For what's happened to you but honestly she's the reason you're still here now. If it wasn't Drake Blair it would have been something or someone else. I also desperately want to blame her for what happened between us but I can't do that either. If I'm being honest with myself we were about at the end of our run even before New York."
"We were." I admitted.
"Watching how hypervigilant she is, especially around you, is honestly incredibly inspiring."
"It's true. She threatened to beat a nurse with his own arm if he tried to sedate her." Cameron said sitting down on the edge of my bed.
"Of course she did." I chuckled and winced.
"We shouldn't make you laugh." Cameron observed.
"She's stronger than I am." Gunter told me.
"I'm the one that stitched her up after she got shot at the prison and she was up and ready to go in less than twelve hours. She should have died with the amount of blood volume she lost."
"I'm accustomed to losing blood." She said leaning against the doorframe.
"What did he say?" I asked.
"He's taking Mike, Wyatt and Kay to run down a couple more promising leads on Blair." She answered.
"You're not going?"
"I'm needed here." She shook her head.
"Are you sure?"
"I am. Even though the leads are promising they could still just be distractions to get all of us separated. I'm the strongest of us even as injured as I am. It's best for me to stay here with you and Cameron." She smiled at me.
I nodded.
"It's best that Cameron stay close. With you two being identical twins there's no way for Blair to tell the two of you apart. He grabbed Jonathan because he admitted to being Jonathan, if he didn't answer he'd have taken both of you." She continued.
I nodded again.
"She's right Cam."
"I'm not going anywhere without you." He said looking at me.
"None of us are." Dina added.
"That's the best thing for his healing. He needs all the support he can get." Kaitlyn said looking at Dina.
"He needs you too." Dina said looking back over her shoulder at her.
"I'm not going anywhere anytime soon." She answered.
She looked up at me and I reached out for her. She smiled and walked over and took my hand.
"You need to rest, Jonathan." She said gently.
"She's right." Gunter said from behind her.
"We're going to go out to the waiting room, so you both can rest." Cameron looked at me.
"Stay close to Gunter. I trust him to keep you out of trouble." Kaitlyn said.
"Between Dina and Gunter they'll hogtie him if necessary." I laughed.
"That's reassuring." She smiled at me.
"Will you lay with me?" I asked her after everyone else left.
"Your ribs are broken." She whispered.
"You aren't going to hurt me." I insisted tugging on her hand.
"How bad are you hurt?" I looked at her.
"One to the side, one to the shoulder. I'm fine." She tried to assure me laying down next to me.
"You say that like it's another day in the office." I sighed wrapping an arm around her.
"It kind of is. I took out twenty two guards and only got hit twice. It's pretty impressive actually."
"I hate thinking about you being hurt." I muttered.
"You may have to get used to it. It's my job." She sighed resting her head on my shoulder.
"I know. I want to be with you and if that means I have to help you nurse your wounds then I will." I kissed the top of her head.
"That means a lot more to me than you know." She sighed.
I held her as she drifted off to sleep.
"She doesn't sleep very often." Scott Walker said from the doorway.
"Why?" I asked looking over at him.
"She doesn't feel safe, hasn't since Chase died."
"You're the one that told Cameron that you're my stepfather." She muttered.
"Well, I was married to your mother. I did walk you down the aisle when you married Chase." He sighed at her.
"I remember." She moved carefully to look up at him.
"Any news?"
"No. It didn't pan out."
She nodded.
"Try to get back to sleep, Katie." He gently touched her arm.
"Katie, huh?" I teased her.
"Kaitlyn, Kate, Katie, whichever." She sighed.
"So, you work for your stepfather?"
"I work with my stepfather. Neither he nor I work for the other. We worked it out that way on purpose because of our history." She sighed.
"My mother got out of the game when Scott asked her to marry him. I was ten. I don't resent him but it does bother me that she didn't get out for me. I didn't understand it, even with Chase, but laying here with you, if you asked me to stop I would."
"I don't want you to stop. I want you to be the best version of you that you can be."
"We might get to a point where you can't take it anymore."
"Let's not worry about that right now. You saved my life because of what you can do." I sighed.
"I'll say it until I'm blue in the face. I'm the reason you were in danger to begin with."
"When do you think I can get out of here?"
"Another couple days or so I'd imagine."
"I hate it here. How come you don't have to stay in bed?"
"My injuries aren't as severe and I'm very intimidating." She laughed.
"I suppose killing people for a living would make you very intimidating."
I ran my fingers through her hair as she drifted back to sleep.