Chapter 15

KAITLYN STONE
I woke up uneasily as the sun shone through the bedroom window. It had been a long time since I'd slept through a night. I glanced to my right and found Cameron standing next to the bed.
"Son of a bitch." I gasped.
"Can I talk to you?" He asked when I sat up.
"Sure." I sighed gently pulling myself out of bed as to not wake Jonathan.
Out in the dining room Cameron sat next to me at the dining room table.
"What's wrong, Cameron?"
"I had a nightmare."
"About what?" I asked looking into his face.
"I was reading the eulogy at Jonathan's funeral. The casket was closed but I could just tell that it was him and that I didn't want to see what was in the casket but I couldn't help myself. I walked over to the casket and all that was in there was his head."
Cameron started crying and laid his head on his folded arms on the table.
"Hey. Jonathan is fine. You are both fine."
"Is that part of why you can't sleep?" He asked me.
"What? Nightmares? Partially, yes." I answered.
"Chase had an older brother and he blamed me for Chase's death. It's hard to shake that."
"Is that why you're so adamant that it's your fault Jonathan was in trouble?"
"Maybe. Probably." I sighed.
"What did you do before he died?"
"Chase and I joined the military after our wedding. We were stationed out of Indianapolis when Chase was taken."
"How did you get out?" He asked.
"I was honorably discharged from the military in 2016 after serving my six years. That's when I joined Drake Blair's unit in Maine."
"So you were in his unit for over a year?"
I nodded.
"And you weren't certain that he was the one you were looking for?"
"*I* was certain but Scott didn't think we had enough to prove that killing him was necessary." I sighed.
"Kaitlyn." I heard Jonathan say my name from the bedroom.
I got up and touched Cameron's shoulder as I walked back to the bedroom.
"Jonathan?" I said his name walking into the bedroom.
"Where did you go?" He asked still laying on his back in the bed.
"Your brother wanted to talk and we didn't want to wake you." I answered sitting on the bed next to him.
"It scared me that you were gone when I woke up." He admitted.
"I'm sorry, love." I whispered.
"Have you heard anything from Scott?" He asked.
"Nothing yet but it's early in the day." I said gently.
"Why don't you come help me make breakfast?"
He nodded looking up at me.
As I stood up he caught my hand in his.
"What?" I smiled at him.
He gently pulled me back to him so he could kiss me. I lifted my hand and touched his face. He pulled me down towards him still kissing me.
"No. No. Jonathan. You are no where near healed enough for me to be on top of you like that." I sighed pulling gently away from him.
"Damn being responsible." He sighed.
"The last thing we want to do is bust your stitches." I touched the bandages on his chest and stomach.
"We should change the dressings."
He nodded starting to sit up.
"You don't need to sit up. It would probably be easier while you're laying down."
Gently I pulled the gauze off of his three stab wounds and the site of his incision from the surgery on his ribcage.
"They look like their healing well." I sighed as I pulled more gauze patches out of the side table and began adhering them to his chest carefully as to not hurt him.
"I like the way it feels when you touch me." He sighed.
I smiled down at him as my phone rang. I glanced over and saw Scott's number on the phone.
"Stone." I answered with a sigh.
"How are you doing?" He asked.
"I'm fine. The twins are fine. I'm about to make breakfast."
"Kay and I are going to come by the house to show you some pictures from a warehouse we found in New Jersey last night." He said.
He sounded stressed.
"I'm not going to like it, am I?" I looked at Jonathan who had sat up beside me.
"No, Kaitlyn. You aren't." He sighed.
"Okay. I'm going to make them breakfast and we can talk in my office when you get here." I answered before I hung up in him.
"What is it?" Jonathan asked taking my hand.
"Scott and Kay are coming by to show me something. I guess it isn't good."
I stared off at the floor until he pulled gently on my hand.
"What do you think it is?"
"He said something about pictures from a warehouse they found in New Jersey. I'm not sure. It could be a lot of different things." I answered offering him a small smile.
"Come on. Let's get breakfast done so you and Cameron can eat while I deal with Scott and Kay."
"I want to be where you are." He said looking at me.
"I'm not leaving the house. We're just going to my office upstairs."
"I just want to be there to support you."
"I know, Jonny." I leaned my head onto his shoulder.
An hour later I sat behind my desk with Scott and Kay sitting across from me when Jonathan knocked on the door.
"Yes." I answered.
"I really think I need to be here with you." He said looking at me.
I thought on this a moment and admired his tenacity.
"Okay. Pull up a chair." I answered.
"Where's Cameron?" I asked as he pulled up a chair beside me.
"He's asleep on the couch with the TV on." He answered.
"Okay. What did you find, Scott?" I asked.
He handed me a file with pictures in it. When I opened it I found pictures of me in my military uniform; of Chase in his army fatigues; Jonathan behind the scenes of his and Cameron's show; and three different pictures of Jonathan and I in the bedroom at the hotel in Times Square.
"Well then." I sighed looking up at Scott.
"There's even more we didn't bring but it appears that he's been almost stalking you since before Chase died." He said.
"My guess would be right around when my mother killed herself." I sighed.
"Honestly, probably before that. I wouldn't be surprised to find that he was following you and sending pictures to your mother."
"Why? It's not like she actually gave a damn about me."
"I know you think that..."
"No, I don't think that. I know that. She changed for you, not for me. She was still killing people after I was born. She told me she'd leave me alone at night so she could go out and take out her mark. I remember waking up with nightmares and being alone in the house."
"I can't change the things she did, Kate. I just hope you know I've been here for you."
"I do know that." I sighed looking up at him.
"We'll find this guy, Kaitlyn."
I nodded looking over at Jonathan who just stared at the picture of him from the file.