Base Buddies -2

Hi Mumbo! If you're reading this, I went out to the shopping district! Don't worry, I packed extra rockets and I wore a coat, I'll be fine! Be back soon!
Love, Grian

Grian tore the note off the wall as he walked into his new cabin, arms loaded with goodies. After he and Mumbo spent a whole day furnishing the house, they talked late into the night before crashing on the bed and couch, respectively. Grian woke up early, and decided to buy some things for their shut-in.

He dumped the shulker box of supplies on the table, wiping his dripping hair out of his eyes.

"Shower first. Food later."

When he got out of the shower, he discovered a problem. His clothes were still soaked and caked in mud, and he had worn them for three days now. He didn't have any extra outfits either, they were washed away. "Hrm hrm hrm..."

Grian waltzed around the kitchen, singing to his apples. It was a common song, which made it easy for Mumbo to sing along as he entered the kitchen. "Good morning!"

"Ah! Morning Mumbo!"

"Lookin fine today." Mumbo noted as Grian grinned awkwardly.

"Ah, you see- and I don't have a spare change of clothes- it makes sense really-" He tugged at the suspenders worn over a plain white tee and khaki slacks. He had borrowed them from Mumbo since his only outfit had been unwearable.

"It's really fine, man! May I ask how those pants fit on you?" He chuckled.

Grian stepped out from behind the counter to display the pant legs, which had been rolled up several times, and still bunched at the bottom. "That's what the suspenders are for!"

"So, unrelated, where did you get all of these.. pies?" The counter was covered in sweet and savory pies of all kinds.

"I went grocery shopping earlier so we could have something good to eat!" Grian grinned ear to ear, pleased with the fruits of his labor.

"They're amazing, but you know I have food at the base, right? You shouldn't have flown all the way to the shopping district by yourself!" Mumbo scolded gently. The pies really did smell amazing.

"I'm a master flyer, you know, I was fine!" Grian waved him off, and set to work cutting up an apple-berry pie. "Pie for breakfast!"

They sat on the couch, plates balanced precariously on their laps. The two ate and chatted loudly, enjoying each other's company. Once they finished they laid on the floor, listening to the rain. It felt as if everything else in the world had melted away in the storm. "I think this is the most relaxed I've ever felt here."

Mumbo shifted to see Grian better. "In this cabin?"

"No, you dork. Just- here." He gestured in the air. "With all of you, in this community."

"Oh. Why?"

"I mean, ever since we chose the locations for our bases, it's just been go go go. I guess I never really stopped to enjoy it all."

"Hmm." They contemplated this for a minute. "I guess you're right."

"Uh, I'm always right." Grian smirked.

Mumbo crossed his arms and sighed. ".....you're right...." He muttered.

"What was that?~" Grian sang.

"I said you're riGHT!" His voice squeaked, making him cover his face in embarrassment.

Grian laughed long and hard at that. Mumbo joined in, and their laughter made each other laugh even more. After a full giggle fit, they sighed in contentment.

"...Do you hear that?" Mumbo whispered as he wiped a stray tear.

"No?" Grian whispered back.

"Exactly."

The rain had stopped. The only sounds to be heard were gentle drips from the eaves of the roof, and birds chirping in joy.

"Oh my gracious, took long enough!" Mumbo rolled to his feet, throwing the curtains open. The sunlight was blinding and beautiful. "Isn't it amazing, Gri?" He grinned ear to ear, beaming as bright as the sun.

Grian, however, frowned like a rain cloud. "I guess."

Mumbo whirled around. "What do you mean, it's gorgeous!"

Grian pouted. "Well now I have to go clean up my base, and we can't hang out all day."

"Why not? Shall we clean your base together?" Mumbo offered Grian a hand up.

"Would you really help me, Mumby Bumby?" He batted his eyes, making Mumbo chuckle.

"Absolutely."

"I'll race you there!" He snagged his elytra as he bolted out the door, laughing like a maniac.

Mumbo simply watched from the door as Grian slipped on the wet glass, landing flat on his face. Mumbo giggled, put on his elytra, and dived gracefully off the platform. "See ya later, spoon!"

So! Like all authors, I read other stories, and I suppose I incorporated some elements from WeekendZen's fantastic book without realizing! 😂 If you like Hermitcraft and somehow aren't following them, definitely go check out their work!!

Love you, my little stars!
-RaeTheStar