Dark Water

The dark water swirled around her ankles. It didn't feel like much, really. The water was lukewarm, and being a zombie, Cleo didn't feel much anyway. At least, not on the outside.

Her heart was torn in two. She had been with the hermits over six years. She had seen friends come and go, and had tons of fun with all of them.

But she also had a camaraderie with the zombies. It was right in her name after all. They were friendly with her, and she felt at home with them in ways she couldn't explain.

So, when a drowned grabbed her ankle, she smiled. Hello brother, how are you today? The drowned gurgled a greeting, tugging her ankle.

Not today, I'm sorry. I have a meeting tomorrow I need to attend.

The drowned tugged, softer this time. Almost pleading. Please come live with us. The water is so nice tonight.

It is very nice. But Ren is expecting me in the morning!

Who needs Ren? He can't understand you like we do.

I know... You guys connect with me like the hermits can't, but... I've spent so much time with them... I'd feel bad just up and leaving...

They've brainwashed you! You deserve better than those simple humans. Join us. Your brothers.

She felt tears on her face. She felt her brain telling her to get up, go to bed before morning. But her heart tugged her towards the water, towards the creatures.

The hermits aren't simple. They're my friends.

They keep you around out of pity. Who would want a zombie as a friend anyway? Humans are selfish creatures.

But-

But what?

I... I don't know anymore. It all hurts. Her body was tearing itself apart, inside out. The tug on her ankle grew more insistent. They called.

Even if I wanted to join you, I'm not a drowned. I would live with the zombies.

That can change.

She was dragged into the water silently. she didn't resist; she couldn't. Being in the water was peaceful. It filled her brain, making the thoughts of her friends a distant memory. It was all water now.

I suppose if I drowned, I would become a drowned. Would I become brainless like them? Maybe that would be better. It was all growing fuzzy anyway. It's too late, it's all black.

Goodnight, hermitcraft.

Love you, my little stars!
-RaeTheStar