Love Languages

Stress stumbled into Mumbo's base, landing on hands and knees. Her cries summoned Mumbo instantly as he ran out of the water elevator. Mumbo scooped her up without question, carrying her to his greenhouse bedroom. He settled her gently in his bed, where she curled up in a shivering ball.

"Are you alright hun?" Mumbo whispered gently, setting his hand on her arm.

She shook her head nearly imperceptibly.

"Take your time." Mumbo sat anxiously, watching Stress' small form shudder. He would help however he could, but he knew from experience it was better to wait first. After a few minutes, she sat up slowly.

Her eyes were dark- from mascara or lack of sleep, Mumbo couldn't tell. Tears stained her rosy cheeks as she stared up into Mumbo's concerned eyes.

"You understand, don't ya? How hard it is?"

Mumbo listened without interrupting.

"It's hard to be the happy one. It feels so good to smile when a friend is havin a bad day, and help em! But then ya go home, and nobody's there to cheer you up." She took a stuttering breath as new tears silently streamed down her face. "I know I moved to the tundra for a reason, but it's so cold an isolated, and I feel like nobody bothers to take the time to fly out an visit me..."

Mumbo waited until he was sure she was done. "I know how you feel, Stress. But you only need to ask if you need help, and your friends are always here for you."

"I- I know, but- but I help people without them askin, and I just want to feel like someone cares- cares enough to fink about me, without me askin for help."

"You're right. I've felt that way before-"

"But you aven't! You've got Grian, who is right there whether you need him or not! Iskall visits you a lot too, so you're never lonely!"

"That's not true. Before this season, Grian wasn't even here. Plus, they're people too- they can't be happy all the time either."

"But it's different! You guys have each other through thick and thin! But I've got no one. All of you- All of you are my friends, but nobody wants ta make a team wif me, nobody comes over ta hang out for no reason, nobody shares a base wif me, nobody-" Realization dawned on her face.

"Do you see it now?"

"Yeah..." She sighed, hiccuping. "Iskall..."

"Even though he hasn't asked about your mental health, he's looking out for you. He invited you to make a lab with him, and he leaves stuff in your castle all the time! He just shows love in a different way."

"Kinda- Kinda like a love language?"

"Yeah. You show and receive love through physical touch and serving others. Iskall shows love by committing time and giving gifts to people he cares about. You just haven't seen it because it's not your love language."

Stress nodded slowly, sniffling. "What about you, Mumbo?"

"Oh! Ah, I'm not sure... probably quality time and words of affirmation. I could sit and talk for hours."

"And that's why you're doin this right now, because you love me."

"Of course." Mumbo hugged Stress tightly, seeming to squeeze fresh tears out of her. She bawled for a long time, simply letting out all her pent-up emotions. She tried talking a couple times, but they came out as gibberish. Mumbo simply held her, rubbing small circles on her back with his thumb. Slowly, the loud sobs died out, and Stress silently cried herself to sleep, going limp in Mumbo's arms.

He laid her down in bed, pulling the covers over her softly. He planted a gentle kiss on her forehead before falling asleep on the floor next to her.

This is roughly written, but it's a call out for myself too- there is always someone who cares, even if you can't see it right now!

Love you, my little stars!
-RaeTheStar