Dark Water 2

Good morning, hermitcraft.

I felt the sun on my face, warm and beautiful, just like every morning. It reminded me to say my thanks every day; for the sun, for my friends, for the world, for my life. It was beautiful.

Today however, I couldn't quite sit up. Something forced me back into bed. I struggled against it for a while, but it was pointless. I laid back down.

Oh Cleo, what are we going to do with you?

That voice sounded familiar. But it wasn't mine? I pried my eyes open.

"You're awake! Thank the heavens and the earth!" Joe threw his arms around my neck.

"..." Words died in my throat. I couldn't seem to make any sound.

"Don't speak. The salt water scourged your throat and lungs. Just rest." He sat back in the chair that was set up next to her bed.

I examined his face more closely. His glasses had slipped to the end of his nose. There were dark circles under his eyes, his skin pallid. He sagged in the chair, practically falling asleep with his eyes open and a smile on his face.

Evidently I made some sort of face, as he sat up slowly. "You've been unconscious for four days now. For 34 hours you were in critical condition, on the verge of drowning." He whispered now. "I was scared, Cleo. I didn't want to lose you. I didn't want you to become a drowned."

Even if I could talk, I wouldn't know what to say. I could see the pain in his exhausted eyes. I had caused him this pain. Tears welled up in my eyes.

Joe watched sympathetically, until a light sparked in his dark eyes. He hopped over to a nearby shulker box, digging out a book and quill. He reverently handed the book to me with a smile.

Cautiously, I opened the book. There were a few scribbles in the front, but the rest was blank. I started writing.

I had no choice, I'm so sorry, it was my fault this happened, you didn't need to stay up, you need to sleep, youu-

Joe wrenched the quill out of my hand, silent sobs wracking my body. I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry-

"Cleo! Stop! You're spewing balderdash!" Tears spilled out of his eyes as well. "Please, tell me what's wrong..."

I took deep, gasping breaths, hiccuping a couple times before calming down. I looked down at the book. The words I had written were smudged and running from my tears. With shaking hands, I picked up the book and turned to a fresh page.

The drowned was talking to me. He told me to join them, and I couldn't decide. He spoke to my greatest fear. I'm an outcast with the zombies and the hermits. I'm different. I'm sorry I caused you so much trouble, I should have resisted him.

Joe held me gently. The only sounds were our breathing. I was breathing. I was human, to some extent. I was human, and spending time with my favorite human on the planet. This is the life I choose.

"I suppose you don't recall waking up anytime before now?" Joe murmured.

I shook my head.

"Good."

I twisted to see his face better. I scowled at him, demanding he tell me what happened.

"Well, I suppose you'd find out one way or another. You 'woke up' multiple times. But you appeared to have the mental capacity of a zombie. You growled and bit me and tried to run into the ocean again. I really thought you were gone." Joe's voice rasped, coarse from crying. "But it's okay now. You're safe."

I slowly picked up the book, writing again.

But what if this happens again? What if they call me again, and I can't say no again? What if nobody's there to save me?

"You are powerful. I believe in you."

I don't want to leave you.

"I will always be here for you Cleo. Always."

Ya caught me, I can't leave stories on a sad ending! There's still some good in my heart!

Love you, my little stars!
-RaeTheStar