Chapter||39

Only one more chapter after this.;((
Comment the name of whoever you're crushing on right now....

Sunday nights were usually pretty laid back for us.

It was 5:30 and we had just finished eating dinner so we decided to have a movie night. I popped some popcorn and everyone gathered in the living room. After much debate about what movie to watch, we eventually decided on a Disney movie so Hallie could be included.

Before I pressed play so we could start watching Brave, I looked around and questioned, "Did everyone finish their homework for tomorrow?"

"Yes," groaned the three annoyed siblings. I laughed "Jeez, sorry guys just checking."

I pressed play and we all watched the movie.

...

When the movie ended, Hallie and Jace were both asleep. Cal went upstairs leaving me to deal with them.

"Jace?" I whispered and kissed his cheek. His eyes popped open as he looked up at me drearily. "Go up to bed and I'll carry Hallie up," I continued to whisper.

"I got her," he whispered and gracefully scooped Hallie up while managing not waking her.

I cleaned up the popcorn bowls and folded the blankets before going upstairs myself. Walking into my room I noticed Jace asleep on my bed.

I smiled as I walked over to him. "Jacey what are you doing?"

He jolted up, "Sorry, I came to wait for you but I guess I fell asleep."

"It's fine," I said with a giggle. His eyes were half shut as he sat up.

"I'm too fucking tired right now. I was going to talk to you about something but let's just do it in the morning," Jace said as he got out of my bed, and gave me a huge hug "I love you Lex."

When he left my brow was furrowed... what was that about?

What could he need to talk about?

I shrugged it off and just went to sleep.

....

I jolted awake and looked around. Something broke? A window? I had heard something shatter.

What if someone was in the house?

Nah we have an alarm system it would be going off.

I grabbed my phone to see the time... it was 3 am. As I turned on my flashlight I remember Cal left his lacrosse stick in the hallway, so I got up and grabbed it for protection before I tip toed to Hallie's room.

I cracked the door open and shined my light in. She was sleeping peacefully and everything seemed okay. Next I went to Cal's room and did the same. Once again everything seemed fine.

That left one more room... Jace's.

I opened the door only to find the lights on. Glass was shattered on the floor.

"What the fuck," I whispered as I looked over to Jace's bed where he was passed out with half of his body hanging off of the bed.

The glass was blocking my path to his bed so I rushed to the wash room and grabbed a broom and then went straight back to his room.

I started sweeping the glass up when I saw the label... it was a bottle of gin. That's it.

I finished sweeping and walked over to where Jace was sleeping. "Jace... what the actual hell," I spat with pursed lips as I hit him with the broom.

Jace opened his eyes and then closed them back when he saw me, "Go away Lex I'm sleeping."

"Wake up," I said as I hit him with the broom again "You told me that you stopped drinking."

"I did," was all he said.

"Well then explain the broken bottle and the shatter that woke me up in the middle of the night. You're lucky the kids didn't wake up," I stated through gritted teeth.

"Whatever, I was just thinking..."

"Thinking?" I interrupted "You weren't thinking you were just drinking."

"Stop being a bitch, you're not my mom," he slurred.

Ok what...?

I took a deep breath, "Jace... you're drunk and I know that you didn't mean that."

"You're right I didn't mean that but I'm gonna say something that I do mean. Sober me was too scared to tell you this but he's not here. I don't think you should go to Europe."

"...What?" Was all I could muster.

"Yeah you heard me. We have something great going on here and I don't think you should go" he stated casually.

"You're drunk and I know that you don't mean anything you're saying Jace, so I'm just going to ignore you," I stammered.

"I might be drunk but I mean every word I said, stop being selfish," Jace slurred.

"How dare you," I spat "I've done nothing but support you and you choose right now to hold me back?"

When he didn't say anything I kept going. "Graduation is in two weeks and then I'll be on my way to the trip that I have been waiting my whole life to go on. How dare you try and hold me back. This might be a big shocker but you're not the only thing that makes me happy Jace."

"Do what ever you want Lex, but if you go on this trip I won't be waiting for you when you get back," he stated as he sat up.

"That's not what you said last month, you said that I was worth waiting for," I said fighting my tears.

"Yeah well I changed my mind. I was perfectly fine before you came along."

"That's it... " I said gaining my confidence back and finally putting my foot down "I don't know what has gotten into you but until you can sort it out we are over. The only reason I will be at this house for the next two weeks is for the kids, not you."

"But Lex," Jace started to say before I cut him off.

"I've heard enough shit out of you. Try talking to me when you're sober asshole," I said before leaving the room.

What just happened?

I got back in bed and just laid there thinking

Jace had been acting weird lately but this came out of no where.

I suppose I get where he is coming from. We are in the beginning of a relationship and I'll be out of the country all summer which is followed by us going to different colleges. He has the right to be mad but that's just not the way to express it to me. And with the way he just talked to me, I'm starting to doubt that we will make it.

Maybe I was stupid for thinking I could make a high school relationship last. Maybe I should end things now and let Jace move on. Maybe I should move on.

I knew he was drunk, but maybe...

And after what felt like forever of staring at patterns on the ceiling, I finally managed to fall back to sleep.

Still thinking, maybe Jace and I aren't made to be together after all...

;((( sad chapter to write, hope you enjoyed...