Chapter 3: Plotting Together

Emily understood.

She was no fool, like many people believed her to be. She may act quirky and ditzy, but she was smart. For her, it was nicer to think on the positive side and ignore all the chaos of the world. Then, instead of getting hurt, she could just pretend like she doesn't understand and the pain would be lighter. So she did the same thing she always did, and decided to pretend she wasn't hurt.

"So, do you want me to be your wing woman?" Emily asked Axel.

"No, I'm sorry Emily. I'm sure you're a nice girl and I don't mean to hurt your feelings, but I can't stop thinking about her and I... I think I love her. I just wanted to make her jealous so that she would want me back. Ugh, I'm messed up, aren't I?"

"No, Axel. I understand."

Emily looked at him with kind eyes and placed her hand on top of his fist. He glanced down, ashamed of his actions. He felt horrible after discovering that Emily was a kind-hearted girl.

"You know what, Axel, I'll help you. Why don't we make her jealous? I'll be your date tonight and we'll see how jealous we can make her."

Axel raised his eyes to meet hers and he hesitated.

"Are you sure you want to do this? I mean, aren't you mad at me?"

"No, I'm okay. Anything to help a friend."

She cringed internally at using the word 'friend.' She wished it was more. But, maybe this was her chance to make it more.

"So, tell me, who's this guy she's with?" Emily questioned.

"That's my brother."

"What?"

Emily was shocked.

"Yeah, he stole her from me."

"How so?"

"Well, it's hard to talk about. I thought everything was going great between us. My brother never really seemed to have any interest in her. I mean, one time, she came over to have dinner with my parents and I, and Aidan blew right past her when she asked if he was joining. But, on the day that I was going to tell her that I love her, I came home late after football practice, and I saw them making out on the couch, right in our living room."

"Oh gosh, Axel, I'm so sorry. That's horrible." She sympathized with him. Why would his own brother hurt him like that? What a horrible guy!

"Thanks."

"If you don't mind me asking, why do you want her back after she hurt you so badly?"

"I feel like an idiot, but I still love her. I can't imagine being with anyone but her."

"You're not an idiot, Axel, you're just in love. And who knows, maybe you'll move on and find someone else."

"I highly doubt that."

She paused, then thought of something.

"Hey, let's get their attention. Make me laugh."

"What? I-I don't know... are you google, cause I just found what I've been searching for."

Emily burst out laughing.

"That was horrible!"

She couldn't contain her laughter at the ridiculously cheesy pick up line. Axel didn't think it was very good or funny either, but watching her laugh made him start laughing too. Soon, they were both laughing at each other, rather loudly.

"Axel?"

Axel stopped laughing and looked behind Emily.

"Penelope? What're you doing here?" Axel feigned surprise.

"I'm, um, on a date."

Emily felt someone move in the chair behind her and suddenly noticed a breath graze the back of her neck. It was warm and the room began to smell husky. Emily's head felt light and airy.

"Hey Axel, why don't you get back to your date and stop looking at mine."

Emily shivered at the deep and masculine voice right at her ear. He sounded rude and Emily did not like his attitude. 

"Hey you, don't be rude to my...."

Turning around, she paused, finding herself mere inches away from the Adonis himself. Or the devil.

"Date?" He questioned, finishing her sentence.

He stared into Emily's eyes daringly, and Emily stared into his, amazed. His eyes were depths of chocolate, looking into her soul and judging. She felt scared and nervous looking into his eyes, but she couldn't look away. They were pulling her in and she couldn't escape.

He let out a sarcastic laugh.

"Axel, it looks like your date wants to be with me now."

"I-I..."

"You what?"

He got even closer to her face, his eyes gleaming wickedly. This angered Emily, and she never got angry. She built up her confidence and pulled away from him.

"I'm Axel's date and you're being rude. So how about you mind your own business and leave us alone!"

Emily turned around in her chair and huffed. Axel decided that it was time to leave and stood up.

"Let's go Emily. I'll get a take-out box."

Emily nodded at him and stood up as well. They packed up their pizza and left the shop.

Once they got in the car, Axel's phone buzzed. He pulled his phone out of his pocket and read the message. He looked up at Emily.

"Hey, there's a party tonight at Fred Rochester's house. Wanna go?"

 Wanna go?"