Chapter 27: Playtime

They arrived back at his house around midnight. He parked the sleek blue motorcycle in the middle of the driveway. A streetlight illuminated the area, the trees nearby casting a shadow on the ground. She removed her arms from around his waist, leaning back. There was a comfortable silence looming in the air. Some leaves continued to fall gradually from the trees, barring their branches.

As Aiden slowly lifted himself off the bike, Emily rose her fists to her tired eyes, rubbing them. The ride was immensely relaxing. The comforting warmth of Aiden's broad back... the low humming of the motor... the soft vibrations against her body. It was enough to make anyone sleepy. 

Aiden turned towards her, smiling as he watched her rub her eyes like a child.

"Come on, let's get you inside," he whispered, gently gripping onto her waist, pulling her up and off the motorcycle.

She groaned as he let her feet touch the pavement.

"Carry me," she exaggerated, opening her arms for him to hold her.

A quiet laugh escaped his lips.

"Maybe next time. I'm tired too, you know."

She shooed off his comment.

"I don't believe that. You probably stay up all the time," she leaned forward, smushing her body into his. 

She wrapped her arms around him and he did the same, chuckling. Dropping his head down, he rested his lips at the base of her hair.

"Actually, I've been trying to go to sleep earlier."

She frowned, pressing her face into his chest.

"How come?"

He smiled against her head.

"Well, a certain someone has been keeping me from all the parties."

She pulled back, looking up at him.

"Me?" she asked, grinning.

"Yes, you."

He smiled playfully, tweaking her nose with his thumb and index finger. She giggled, swatting his hand away.

"Stop..."

She laughed as he moved his hands to her sides, wriggling his fingers on her waist and finding her tickle spot.

"Stop? Stop what?" he teased.

Her uncontrollable giggles urged him to continue, delighting in the sight of seeing her purely happy expression. 

"Aiden," she moaned out, begging him to stop.

She grinned, marveling at his surprisingly goofy behavior. 

Seeing the tears of laughter in her eyes, he stopped messing with her.

"Okay, okay... I'll stop now."

She felt like a panting mess, her stomach and waist feeling sensitive, her lungs constricted.

"Am I... am I really keeping you from those things?" she voiced, her arms wrapped around her stomach.

Aiden frowned.

"The parties? No, I just want to protect you," his hand cupped her face. "I would rather keep you safe than play beer pong with random strangers."

"Why do you want to protect me so much?" she asked.

A gentle smile crossed his features.

"Because I like you."

Her heart began to race, the sound amplifying throughout her body, clouding her mind.

"You do?" she asked cautiously, afraid that he was messing with her feelings yet again.