Chapter 10: Movie Night

Emily made her way to the living room. Seeing Axel on the couch, she walked over and sat down next to him. He smiled at her.

"Do you want to watch a movie?"

"Sure."

"Well, you don't have to stay if you don't want to. Penelope is gone so I feel more comfortable. But, if you want to stay..." Axel scratched the back of his neck awkwardly.

Axel didn't want to make her stay, but he still wanted her company. He enjoyed being around her. 

"I'd love to stay, if you'll have me," Emily said softly.

"Of course." Axel's voice deepened a bit.

Emily felt little butterflies fly around in her stomach. It almost sounded like he wanted  her, not just to stay, but to have her. She blushed and smiled at the thought.

"So... what movie do you have in mind?"

"How about... Psycho?"

"Is that a scary movie?"

"Yes! It's an Alfred Hitchcock movie. You've never heard of it?"

"No. I don't like scary movies. They scare me."

"Come on. It'll be fine. I'll be right here if you get scared."

She thought about it. Usually, she would refuse to watch anything remotely scary, but Axel was different. She liked the idea of huddling in his arms while he protected her.

"O-okay. Let's watch it."

"Awesome! I'll set it up."

"Okay! I'll go get the cookies for a movie snack."

"Cool."

Emily was terrified, even after the movie ended

Emily was terrified, even after the movie ended. Alfred Hitchcock was an amazing director. He effectively scared her out of her wits. 

Although the movie was scary, Emily was glad that she got some cuddle time with Axel. He was warm and she felt relaxed in his arms. If she hadn't been so sucked in to the movie, she probably would have fallen asleep.

Tonight, Emily had originally planned to go home. However, as Axel was walking her out, she took a look out into the darkness, said 'nope' and walked back inside.

"Do you want to stay over? I can drive you to school tomorrow."

"I wouldn't be imposing, would I?" Emily asked nervously, concerned that she was overstaying her welcome.

"No, of course not."

"Okay, then yes. I would like to stay. I don't think I could leave your house without dialing 911."

"Well, it's a good thing you have the technology to do that. That girl in the movie wasn't so fortunate."

"Well said."

They smiled at each other and headed further into the house. Emily heard noise in the kitchen.

"I think my parents are making dinner. I'll let them know you're staying."

"Okay. Thank you again for letting me stay."

"No problem."

He stuck his head through the kitchen door.

"Hey mom, is it okay if Emily stays over? We watched a scary movie and she's afraid to go outside."

"Emily's staying?" Aiden audibly groaned as he casually leaned against the kitchen sink.

The Armstrong's mother, Helen, looked between her two sons in confusion.

"Wait, are you two using this girl in some sort of argument? Because I saw this girl with Aiden Saturday morning, and today she tells me that she's your girlfriend."

"No mom, it's not like that. I don't like her that way. I can't say the same thing about him, though," replies Aiden.

"She is my girlfriend mom. And yes, I do like her."

"Okay, just don't get into any fights because of her. Okay?"

"That won't be a problem for me."

"Hey! She's a great person. What's your issue with her?" questioned Axel angrily.

"I just don't like her. Get over it."

"See. This is what I mean. Don't fight over her."

"Whatever. Mom, can she stay?"

"Yes, your girlfriend can stay. I think there will be enough lasagna for all of us."

"Great! Thanks mom."

Axel glared one last time at Aiden before sticking his head out of the kitchen. He didn't know it, but Emily heard everything from her spot on the couch. And all she could think about was, how come Aiden did not like her?

"You can stay! Are you fine with lasagna?"

"Yes, that sounds wonderful."

"Should we play a game while we wait?"

"Yeah. What kind of game?"

"How about..."

He walked over to what Emily could only assume was their game cabinet. He rifled through shelves before pulling out a board game.

"I think you might like this game."

He held it out for her to take.

"The Game of Life?"