Chapter 26: Starry Night

Emily felt sleepy. She was laying next to Aiden, her legs resting on his hips. She had her arms around him, cuddling into his upper chest. His fingers were in her hair, rubbing her scalp absentmindedly. The soothing jazz beats had her drifting to sleep. 

The warmth of Aiden's body and the music weren't the only things keeping her from staying awake. It was also night, and the stars were shining faintly in the distance. She could hear Aiden's heart beat steadily. Her head rose and fell with each breath he took. She felt the soft humming in his chest as he began to whisper.

"I think I'll name that one after you."

She watched as his hand rose up and he pointed at a star, the light from the stage causing his arm to silhouette.

"Why?" she whispered back slowly.

"It shines the brightest, just like you."

Loving his sweet sentiments, she squeezed closer into his warmth. He spoke again, this time in a low tone.

"If I could, I would run up to the moon and reach for the star. And once I had it, I'd never let it go."

She thought deeply for a moment.

"Wouldn't you want it to be free? So people may use it to guide them?" she questioned.

He hummed.

"I'd want it to be free, but with me. I wouldn't want anyone to take advantage of its light."

"Can't it protect itself? Why would you need to do that?" she was feeling this conversation had more meaning than just stars.

"I guess I wouldn't. But with all that light shining it could be oblivious to the darkness that surrounds it. I wouldn't want to take that chance. And it seems so lonely, I'd want to keep it company."

She stared at the star, wondering if they had similar fates.

"But," she paused. "How could it trust you?"

He spoke calmly and steadily, never wavering at his next words.

"I would only reveal my light side to it."

She frowned.

"But what if she, I mean, it wants to know all of you? Both good and bad sides."

"I would reveal them only when asked."

Her brows furrowed in confusion and frustration.

"Shouldn't you show your different sides as you are feeling them?" she said with a bit of anger leaking through her tone.

Aiden lifted his head.

"What are you talking about?" he asked, confusion lacing though his words.

She tilted her head to look him directly in the eyes. She removed her arms from around his ribcage and sat up.

"First you're a playboy, then you're this caring boyfriend. I don't get it. I know there are things you aren't telling me."

He looked taken aback by her abrupt change in mood.

"What do you want to know?"

There was... something itching at the back of her mind. She wanted to get it off her conscience.

"Who's Sam?"

Aiden's eyes widened.

"What? Who told you about her?" he demanded, ready to beat up whoever blabbed.

"Axel."

He cursed.

"I was hoping we could go one night without talking about my dirt bag of a brother. I'm going to beat the living-"

"Don't. He told me not to ask you. It's my fault for bringing it up. Never mind," she said quickly, trying to avoid a big fight. She knew she shouldn't have said anything.

Aiden calmed down and gently placed a hand on her arm.

"No, it's okay. I'll tell you. Just... not here."

She nodded, the strumming bass bringing her back to her surroundings. For the longest time, it felt like it was just her and him, alone together.

He leaned forward, placing a reassuring kiss on her lips. She smiled in contentment. This moment felt so right.

"I don't think the band will be wrapping up any time soon. Do you want to head out early?"

She glanced at the band still playing away, then at the people around them. There were couples everywhere, kissing, cuddling, laughing. Even Ross and Tristan were drunkenly making out on the grass next to their towel. By the looks of it, they must have rolled off the towel in their attempts to gain dominance. Ross' white shorts were sure to have grass stains on them by now.

"Sure," she replied.

Aiden stood up, grabbing her hand and pulling her up with him. They packed up their blanket and basket and headed towards the parking lot, holding hands. He strapped their stuff onto the back of his motorcycle and got on. Tilting the vehicle and pushing the kickstand up, he held his hand out to help Emily on the bike.

"Ready?" he asked.

She took his hand and swung her leg over the bike, sitting down. Looking back at the park, she saw the lit up stage, lights gradually changing colors. She noticed the teenagers behind the crowd, lighting up cigarettes and letting the smoke rise into the trees. Her eyes got heavy staring at the sky above her, wondering if they would follow that star home.

She wrapped her arms around his waist and lifted her feet onto the platform.

"Ready."