Chapter 7: Figuring it Out

By the time Aiden left the bathroom, Emily had dressed and was waiting, legs crossed, on his bed. He couldn't help the feeling he got seeing her in his clothes.

Emily noticed him looking awfully refreshed. Water dripped down his shoulders, past his chest and abdomen, to land on the towel that wrapped itself around his waist.

"Did you seriously do that in there?"

"I told you I was gonna. You know, I was waiting for you to join me in the shower."

"Thanks for that image," she replied sarcastically.

"You're welcome."

He got some clothes from the closet and didn't bother to close the door behind him as he dropped his towel.

She swiftly turned her head in the other direction for a good five minutes.

"I'm done. You can modestly look at my delicious body again."

She turned her head back.

"You are so full of yourself," she exclaimed. "So, what happened last night?"

He sat on the bed across from her.

"You turned the steam on in the shower."

"I did?"

"Yeah. That little button on the wall." He made a 'duh' face.

"Oh, come on, how could I have known that?"

He shrugged his shoulders.

"Did you... touch me?"

"You mean when I had to carry you out of the steaming shower after I put a hole in the wall trying to open the damn door? Who locks the door in someone else's house?" he asked incredulously.

It was her turn to shrug.

"I didn't want you walking in on me."

"Well, that didn't go as planned, now did it?"

Emily hated how rude he was being to her.

"You know, I really don't appreciate your attitude. Thanks for saving me and all, but I don't deserve your disrespect."

She moved to stand up, but he grabbed her arm lightly and pulled her back down.

"Look, I'm sorry. It's just, you really scared me. I didn't expect to see you passed out on the shower floor."

He looked down, trying to hide his emotions. She took his hand gently with hers. He looked up to see a kind smile on her face.

"Hey, thank you for saving me," she said softly.

"Just don't take a steam shower ever again," he fake warned.

"But, if you desperately want a steam shower, just call me and I'll be happy to heat it up with you," he tried joking.

Emily laughed.

"Thanks, but no thanks."

He chuckled, then got up and off of the bed. He pulled open a drawer on his nightstand. Emily snuck a look inside. She saw a flashlight, condoms, and business cards? He pulled one out and handed it to her.

"But seriously, here's my number, in case you do anything stupid. Don't do anything stupid."

"You have business cards in your nightstand?" She looked at him in disbelief.

"Yeah, for when I have a good time in bed and want the girl to come back."

"Are you serious?"

"Duh. But don't worry, I make sure to pleasure them as well."

"Are they call-girls or something?"

"Please babe, look at me. They come to me willingly. I don't even ask for it, but, I can't turn them down when they beg. Their wish is my command."

"So, you're like a genie?"

"Exactly. It's hard work babe. Now come on, let me take you home."

She sighed, rolled her eyes, and followed him out.

When they made it to her house, Emily thanked him for the ride and waved as he drove away, worrying about how she would explain this to her parents

When they made it to her house, Emily thanked him for the ride and waved as he drove away, worrying about how she would explain this to her parents. At least he hadn't pulled up in his motorcycle, she thought. They had to take his parents' car because his motorcycle was still at the party house. When he asked his mom for the key, she didn't seem surprised in the slightest to see Aiden with a girl. Emily was so embarrassed and waited for a scolding, but his mother just grabbed her purse, rummaged around in it, and tossed him the key. She barely even glanced at Emily.

She walked up to her house and slowly opened the front door. She entered and closed the door behind her.

As she walked through the house, she saw the familiar paintings of her father and her grandfather and her great grandfather decorating the walls. She moved into the living room, first spotting the large portrait of her scowling grandmother filling the wall. Then she drew her gaze down further, to her mother, who stood directly below the portrait, tapping her foot furiously and possessing the same scowl.

"Where were you?" she barked.

"I-I..."

"And who was that boy I saw dropping you off?"

Emily groaned.

"Mom, that literally just happened. Were you watching me from the window?"

"What has gotten into you, young lady? Mind your tone. And yes, I did watch you from the window, like any concerned mother would."

Emily felt bad.

"Look, mom, I'm sorry."

"You should be. I was up all night worried. And call me mother."

"Yes, mother. I'm sorry."

"I don't think I can accept your apology quite yet, but some fat-free cookies would help."

"I'll go make some for you."

"Thanks honey."

Emily walked toward the kitchen, shoulders slumped.

"And honey?"

Emily turned around and looked at her mother.

"Stand up straight. I can't have people thinking my daughter will become a hunchback."

She withstood glaring at her mother and turned toward the kitchen once again, with straight shoulders this time.