Background Info: Mari

Hey there!

I just wanted to explain some things about the previous chapter and Mari's evil ways.

I know this whole marriage thing may seem odd or a little too overboard, but a common characteristic in some Asian cultures is the concept of filial children. A good filial child is one that takes care of their parents when they're older, and since Emily is an only child that comes from wealth and traditional family values, it would not be so impractical that she would be forced into an arranged marriage. This will be explained some in the story as well. Interesting fact: Chinese families in the past valued having male children because they were responsible for taking care of their aging parents and elders. The women were responsible for marrying a man and taking care of their husband's parents. It's a sad truth, but that's just how it was at the time. This is why Mari mentions earlier in the story her distaste for having Emily instead of a boy. She also wants Emily to marry a wealthy, upper class boy in hopes that he will pass some of his wealth to them and take care of his parent-in-laws in their old age.

Just a small note too, you may have noticed that Emily's dad hasn't really shown up much in the story. That is purposeful. The idea is that he's pretty much working or avoiding his bossy wife. Mari also has the run of the house. I also wanted the big portrait of the woman to represent the power of women (go feminism!) and how they can still influence the structure of power even when it may not be socially acceptable. Another point about Mari is that she still has this sort of idea in her head that women still can't be openly powerful or filial on their own, so in a way she's trying to ensure that Emily can have a way into power, and the only way she thinks that is possible is through the traditional way of marriage.

I hope this makes her character a little more understandable. She may seem like she's just off-the-handle evil, but there's some psychology and historical background to it.

Catch you at the real Chapter 38!