Chapter 17: A New Plan

As Emily walked to her house, she noticed a car following slowly behind her. She picked up her pace, and so did the car. The car pulled up to the curb and the window rolled down. Emily screamed and covered her face with her hands, tucking herself into a standing fetal position.

"What are you doing?" a familiar voice called out.

She unscrunched herself and looked over to the man in the sparkly blue car.

"Axel? Whose car are you driving?"

He glanced down at the car door, then back to her.

"Oh, this thing? It's my dad's. Mine is in the shop and mom's using hers. Why do you look so freaked out?"

She stared at him in disbelief.

"Well, a mysterious car was following me home... shouldn't I be scared? Anyways, why are you following me?"

He made a face of remembrance.

"There's something I want to tell you. Get in the car."

Her eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"Okay..."

She walked onto the road and opened the passenger door, pulling herself into the car. He turned to her and smiled.

"I've got a new plan."

"So, let me get this straight, you want me to flirt with your brother, then break up with him when he falls in love with me?"

Axel smiled.

"Exactly!"

She frowned.

"I'm sorry, Axel, but that's not happening. I can't mess with someone's feelings like that. And I'm pretty sure your brother is incapable of love."

He shook his head slowly.

"Not true. There was Sam..."

He snapped his mouth shut, realizing his mistake. Her eyes widened slightly.

"Sam? Who's Sam?"

He avoided looking at her, staring at the wheel.

"I... shouldn't have said anything."

"No, tell me, I want to know. Did he love her?" she urged, feeling a slight prick of jealousy.

He cringed.

"It's not my place to tell. Let's drop it," he paused and glanced at her. "So... will you do it?"

She hesitated.

"I don't know..."

"Come on, for me?" he pleaded.

She sighed, the feelings of nervousness creeping in her stomach.

"But, what about Penelope and this whole mess? And why do you even want to see him hurt?"

He sighed.

"I'm over Penelope. She may still like me but she went too far. I mean, my brother even followed her plan to win me back. Who does that?" he asked in honest disbelief.

She gave him a strange look.

"Um... you? Weren't we just doing that when you wanted Penelope back?"

His eyes widened in understanding and he blushed a little.

"Oh, right. Well, I want to get him back for making me look like a fool."

She couldn't really understand his logic. After the first plan failed, she thought her relations with the Armstrong boys were over. Now Axel wants her to break Aiden's heart? Her head was spinning.

"I can't break someone's heart, Axel. Even though he's a jerk, he doesn't deserve that treatment."

"Yes, he does, Emily. He has broken so many hearts. It's time for us to play karma."

He stared at her with puppy-dog eyes, but she couldn't miss the vengeful spark swirling in his sapphire irises.

"I'm not sure about this..." She felt a twinge in her stomach.

"He's nothing but a jerk. This will... help me move on. I just want to make him pay for all the shit he's pulled."

"But, I'm starting to think that... maybe he's a nice guy." 

She gave him a worried look, afraid of what he might say.

"He's not. God, I don't even know where you would get that idea. You of all people shouldn't be thinking that. Do you know what he said about you? The day after the party he told me you were an intolerable fool. An ignorant virgin. Then he laughed and said 'well, not anymore.' Does that sound like a nice guy to you?"

She gasped at the cruel words, holding in the tears that were forming fast. A pain jabbed at her heart.

"Is that true? He said that?" she asked weakly.

"Somewhat," he shrugged.

She felt a maddening blush make its way to her cheeks. She couldn't believe that she was starting to develop feelings for an insensitive man like that. All of those feelings will be put to a stop, she thought. 

She sat up straight and put on a brave face.

"I'll do it. I will break Aiden's heart. We will make him regret ever breaking a girl's heart, or causing them to believe there was more..." She wavered off, thinking of her feelings and dazing with a sorrowful expression.

Axel smiled. He knew his pep-talk  would work.

"Okay! Let's do this."

She drew her gaze back to him and smiled. He started up the car and pulled onto the street.

"There's a party this Friday. I'll pick you up. Wear something nice... and revealing," he added.

She stared off at the road ahead with determination.

"Alright."

Axel turned to the right, noticing the same houses pass by.

"I think I'm going in circles. Where's your house?"