Chapter 39: The Second Wave

Once Monday classes ended, Emily paced to the Armstrong's home. She needed to tell Axel. It was time. After her mother forced the marriage, she recognized her time was limited. Next year, the day after graduation, the wedding would happen. But not if she could help it. Aiden was her true love, and she was determined to never let that go. One last thread needed to be sown, and that was telling Axel to break off the plan. There was no possible way she could break Aiden's heart.

Their house coming into sight, she jogged up the driveway, hopping up the steps. Without hesitation, she knocked on the maroon painted door, ringing the doorbell once for safe measure.

Thirty seconds later, the door swung open, revealing Mrs. Armstrong. Little beads of sweat glistened on her brow, her chestnut hair pulled into a messy ponytail. She was holding a duster in her right hand, a baggy old football shirt coating her upper body, leading down to gray sweatpants. A look of surprise slipped across her face as she noticed who was at the doorway.

"Oh, hello dear," her lips drew a genuine smile, before gazing around outside. "Where're the boys?" she asked.

Emily's mouth formed a little O.

"Axel's not here?"

The Armstrong's mother, Helen, frowned a little at her question.

"Uh... well, if he's not with you, he should be home soon. Football practice isn't today," she hummed. They stood awkwardly for a minute. "Oh, come in, dear. I apologize for my rudeness."

Emily's eyes widened at the abrupt noise interrupting the uncomfortable silence. She rushed in as Helen's hand waved her urgently to come inside. It was getting rather dark outside, the skies preparing for a dreadful storm.

"Oh no, it's fine. Do you mind if I wait for him?"

Helen nodded, walking her to the couch.

"Be my guest. If you don't mind, I'll be cleaning in the other room. Do you need water?"

Emily sat down, the leather causing her to slip a little. She decided to wear blue jeans today, pairing with a plain white t-shirt. Her theory remained that skin contact was seemingly the only way to not slide on these couches. Mmm, skin contact on this couch... with Aiden. Images flashed through her mind of all the ways they could have fun on this couch. She gulped, is this how my imagination works after sex? She had to admit, she liked it. Glancing up, she saw Helen gazing at her expectantly, waiting for an answer.

"A... um... no, no water. Thank you."

Helen stared at her one last time before nodding and walking away.

"Honey, I'm home!"

A voice called from the garage door entrance.

Mr. Armstrong set his briefcase on a chair, striding over to his wife and scooping her in his arms. Her sparkling eyes gleamed up at her husband. They met in a brief but perfect kiss, Mr. Armstrong making a loud popping sound with his mouth for playful emphasis when they broke away. Mrs. Armstrong laughed, holding his biceps. Emily watched them in awe. They were so happy together. Now she knew where Aiden got his jokester personality.

He ran a hand gingerly through her hair, gazing into her eyes.

"You know, since the kids aren't home, maybe we could-"

"Darling, we have a guest," she stopped him, nodding her head toward the couch.

Mr. Armstrong turned to see who was there. Noticing it was Emily, he let go of his wife, grabbing her hand and walking to the couch.

"Hey Emily, here to see Aiden?" he asked, thinking he was caught up with who she was dating now.

"N-No, Mr. Armstrong. I'm actually here to see Axel."