Chapter 37: The First Wave

When they made it to her house, a grimness hung in the air as she spotted a familiar grey Sudan in the driveway. The motorcycle pulled to a stop and Emily hopped off, her mind going into a freak-out. Aiden removed his helmet slowly as he stared wide-eyed at her, afraid any quick movement might make her explode into a frenzy of crippling anxiety. Noticing his hesitation, she inhaled deeply, allowing more oxygen to run rampant in her bloodstream.

"She's here," she started. "Oh my gosh, she's here! What am I going to do, Aiden?"

Her words dipped into an unpleasant form, fear making its way through the seams of each pause and break in speech. He parked the bike and got up, standing in front of her. Grabbing the sides of her arms and rubbing them comfortingly, he forced her to calm down with one look in his eye.

"It's okay. I'm here too. Whatever happens, I'll be here for you."

She sighed, coming down from her anxiety high.

"You're right."

He gave her a warm smile, the whole world disappearing around her as she gazed at those lovingly gentle eyes.

"Let's go inside," he suggested when the time felt right.

She nodded, holding his hand and letting him tug her to the front porch.

"Wait," she called out as he gripped the handle of the door that was just barely hanging ajar. He turned to her, glancing questioningly at her.

"One kiss before we go?" she offered.

He released his hold on the handle, facing her.

"Well if you're offering-"

His cocky sentence was stopped short as her lips feverishly met with his, desire pumping in with the other mixing emotions in her veins. A muted moan escaped him in surprise, his eyes fluttering closed as the hands digging into his shirt shifted to tug on his hair. He enveloped her in a hug, lifting her up as he pressed her waist against his, her legs dangling below her. She didn't know why, but she needed this. She felt like a starved animal, her only source of sustenance being his lips.

"Emily Lee Kim!"

The meshing of their lips was cut short by the angelic shout of her mother. Standing at the door, her gaze a burning fire as the young couple parted. Emily shifted back onto her toes and they both turned their heads toward the sound, not daring to glance at each other. A thickness settled in the air as Mari, Emily's mother, pursed her lips in a tight, deceptive smile.

"I apologize for my outburst. I see you have a new... boyfriend."

Emily internally cringed at her mother's inference that she'd had previous boyfriends. Aiden's eyebrows raised in confusion. Mari's devilish smile grew as she continued.

"Let me show you inside."

Aiden nodded slowly, feeling oddly like Hansel in the Grimm's Fairytale. She released a little humph noise as she turned around and began strolling inside. Thinking she seemed nice enough, he followed, bringing Emily in too.

As they walked down the main hall, Aiden's confidence began to fade as he stared at all the powerfully intimidating portraits of stoic Asian men in expensive business suits. They looked tough... brutal... heartless. But there was something else too, something that scared Aiden more than he could admit. By the empty look prevalent in their cold glares, it seemed like each and every man had their soul slowly drained out of them. Some had wrinkles and sags in their skin from years of being dragged down a bottomless pit of dissatisfaction. Some were painted younger but still no light escaped their eyes. Aiden couldn't tell if the painters portrayed honest interpretations, or if they were too afraid to draw anything less than dominating depictions of these lifeless men.

"As you can see, our family has proudly stood tall for generations. Our powerful men have produced powerful families, and that is the only way our lineage has been able to make it in this society. But, I'll invite you in on a little secret. All these powerful men..."

Mari paused in her spiel, coming to a stop as they entered the main living room.

"...have been led by powerful women."

Aiden's mouth hung ajar as he stared at the extravagant portrait of a brutally domineering woman wearing an emerald green silk dress decorated with ornate golden dragons hanging above an empty fireplace. She, compared to the other paintings, instilled the most fear of all. She stood callously, glaring so strongly it felt like she was looking right at him, scolding him.

"This was my mother," Mari mused. "I remember when I was young and wanted to travel the world. But as stupidity took over me and I was brought back home, my mother arranged my marriage and I realized just where my family duties lie."

Her story took a dark turn as she faced Aiden. He gulped.

"And you, you're nothing but a mutt my stupid daughter brought home."

Her words pierced him.

"Mom!" Emily shouted, holding Aiden as he stood motionless, being held down by an unseeable force known as fear.

"I have invited Daniel Lancaster over. You will go on a date with him by next week. From there we will decide on your wedding date. I was going to propose that you invite your ex-boyfriend to the wedding, but scrap like him shouldn't really come to such a high class event, don't you agree?"

Emily glared at her so-called mother.

A figure moved in the background, standing up from the couch and making his way over to the group. Aiden's mannerisms changed as he saw the snooty face of Daniel Lancaster, his momentary blip of fear disappearing at the sight of an old enemy. Growling lowly, he pulled Emily behind him protectively.

"Well, well, if it isn't little Aidy Armstrong. How're the friends?"

Daniel stood smugly in his Petersburg Preparatory uniform, a jade dragon insignia enveloping the breast pocket of the skinny boy. Aiden's lips curled in distaste.

"What is he talking about?" Emily questioned to Aiden.

"This twit made a move on Ross in the eighth grade," he snarled.

Emily gasped. Daniel rolled his eyes before facing Aiden again with another glare.

"Well, I was young and stupid then. Now, I wouldn't try to go for trash like her," he smirked.

Aiden's hands fisted as he lunged himself at Daniel.

"You son of a-"

"Ehem! Quiet, boys."

Mari silenced them, watching as Emily held back Aiden's arm, his right hand raised and fisted to clock Daniel square in his stuck-up nose. His other hand was gripping his undershirt as he pressed him against the wooden backside of a silk-laced couch.

"Aidy, was it? I think it's time you leave. Emily, go make some cookies for our lovely guest."

Taking a deep inhale, Aiden released the squeaking twerp and turned to Emily. He searched her eyes desperately for answers.

"Please, just go... you'll only make things worse," she whispered weakly, admitting defeat.

He nodded, respecting her decision. Walking past her toward the dark and dismal hallway, he stopped in his tracks, facing Mari.

"I hope you know that you are a terrible mother," he snarled. "She deserves to live her life how she wants, not based on some idiotic family values."

With that, he left, slamming the door on his way out. The portraits shook with the force, the echoes of the slam vibrating in the silence.

"So that's the boy who's been poisoning your mind with these disobedient beliefs. He must come from nothing if he doesn't know true family values."

She raised an eyebrow at her daughter, who stayed quiet. After a few moments of staring into the eyes of her cold mother, she brushed past her into the kitchen, pulling out the sugar and butter, following the silent duties of her heritage.