Chapter 32: Wherefore Art Thou?

Emily opened the front door at six o'clock on Friday. All she saw was pink. Hot pink feathers consuming the upper half of her best friend. She stared at the massive fluff ball in bewilderment.

"Hello there," called out Nathan from behind the fluff.

"What are you doing?" she asked, completely shocked.

He walked into the house, almost tumbling on the step up. She had to rush to him, pulling him into a hug and guiding him toward the inside of the house, which saved him from falling back onto the cement porch.

"Well, I thought if your mom sees me as this sort of gay, I might as well give her a show."

From the tone of his voice, she could tell that he was grinning.

"But now she'll be even more convinced," she replied in exasperation.

His hands moved around, trying to remove the feathers blocking his face. Emily reached out and helped him part the feathers so he could look at her. When his face was clear, he held a blank expression.

"Frankly, I don't give a damn about what your mother thinks. And you shouldn't either. She treats you like shit anyway."

"Language," she warned.

His eyes widened and he pointed at her.

"See. She's already turning you into her minion," he remarked.

She crossed her arms.

"You know I don't like cursing. That's not her influence," she pouted.

He sighed, raising his fingers to his face, attempting to pull the irritating feathers away.

"You're right. I'm sorry. But really, you need to stand up for yourself. She can't control your life."

Emily sighed.

"She can, actually, and she already does," the hope sunk in her deep brown eyes.

Nathan huffed.

"Well, enough of that. Let's party!"

He jumped up and down, shimmying his shoulders a bit as he let the feathered scarves tumble down his body. Emily watched his thin and lightly muscled form dance. She giggled at his playful demeanor.

"Okay, okay," she smiled, taking his hands in hers and dancing with him.

They picked up the hot pink feathered scarves and danced the conga to her bedroom.

It was Saturday night, the sky dazzled orange and pink, illuminating around the sun

It was Saturday night, the sky dazzled orange and pink, illuminating around the sun. The light shined in from Emily's first floor bedroom window. She sat with Nathan on her bed. 

They were holding pillows and staring at each other, waiting anxiously for the other to make the first move. Nathan snuck up behind her earlier and found her tickle spot. As she was rolling on the floor gasping with laughter, she reached behind his knee and wiggled her fingers on his tickle spot.