Chapter 42: Wrapping Up

The next Monday morning in the school's brickyard, Nathan revealed his secret to Emily. One that was eating him up inside, his heart convincing his mind to tell someone. And who better to tell than his best friend.

"Axel and I hooked up."

He glanced up to see not only Emily, but Aiden standing next to her, both holding expressions of utter shock. Emily's mouth hung open wide and Aiden, wide eyed and maintaining eye contact with Nathan, reached over to gently close it with his palm. He smiled wide, the thoughts of his brother being so far shoved in the closet making him laugh.

"Man, I knew it. He spends too much time trying to prove to us that he likes girls so we knew something was up. Wait till mom hears this, she'll be so pumped. She always wanted a gay son."

He laughs and Emily smacks him in the stomach.

"Don't tell them. It's his place to tell, not yours."

He groaned, then nodded.

"Right right. Special moment and all."

"Yes. Now let my bestie continue."

Nathan, enjoying watching them bicker and not really wanting to continue explaining, cleared his throat.

"W-well, I didn't mean for anything to happen, since you liked him and all, but out of nowhere he started coming up to me during school and asking me out on secret dates. He's been really romantic and sweet. I think he's the-"

"Em!"

The group was startled by a rather clumsy Ross barreling at them in her sweaty soccer jersey and running shorts. Aiden caught her as she tumbled. Once she became steady on her feet, both her and Aiden produced sounds of disgust as they pulled away from each other.

"Guys, Axel," she panted, pointing toward the gym. "Crystal."

Emily gasped, and they all took off toward the gym. Unbeknownst to Nathan, Crystal was the girl Axel was sleeping around with when Emily was first starting to seduce Aiden.

Not knowing exactly why they were standing in the gym watching Crystal confront Axel, they only knew it was important and that they needed to be there.

"What did you say?" they heard Axel question Crystal, who was standing at a distance in front of him.

"I'm pregnant."

Ross, Emily, and Aiden all turned their heads to Nathan. The loud clap of a basketball hitting the glazed wooden floors was heard as Tristan dropped the ball in surprise. Nathan's eyes watered briefly before he released a broken sob and ran back through the glass double doors. Axel, hearing the sound, turned around just before Nathan was out of sight.

"Nathan!" he called loudly, running after him and not looking back.

Everyone stood still, drifting their gazes back to Crystal.

"What're you all silent for? I'm having a baby!"

Someone clapped in the background and the sound dispersed as other people applauded around the gym. The group engaged in an awkward clap as they mulled over the predicaments of Nathan's situation.

 The group engaged in an awkward clap as they mulled over the predicaments of Nathan's situation