Chapter 11

"Sho-chan?"

Todoroki looked up. His expression softened a bit when his eyes landed on me.

"(y/n)", he acknowledged me.

"Are you okay?", I asked as I hesitantly walked closer to him. "With using your fire and all."

"Yes, I'm fine", Todoroki answered. "Thank you for asking."

"Before the cavalry battle you said you'd never use it in a fight", I carefully said. "What made you change your mind?"

"Something Midoriya said", Todoroki mumbled and his heterochromic eyes landed on me again. "Why do you ask?"

"Because I was wondering about it", I mumbled as I turned my head to look at the stadium. "I care about you, and when I asked you why you didn't use your left side in battle earlier your answer was pretty serious. Can't a girl be worried about her friend?"

I looked back up with a weak smile when I said the last part. Todoroki's eyes widened for a second. Then he showed me a small smile.

"Thanks for your concern, (y/n)", he said. "But you don't have to worry about me. I'm fine. I'll tell you when I'm not."

"Okay", I softly said, content with his answer.

In the time I'd spent with Todoroki, I noticed that he didn't show his emotions very often. Small moments like these made me smile. When he smiled or said something kind. For some reason, those small moments replayed in my head many times.

"Next up are Shoto Todoroki and (y/n) (l/n)!", Present Mic announced.

"I can actually hear him shouting", I muttered as I glanced at the room the hero was in.

"Yeah, me too", Todoroki said.

I chuckled and we started making our way down to the field together. When we reached the stage we halted, and I grabbed Todoroki's hand.

"I'll do my best", I said. "Don't you dare go easy on me. I don't care if you use your fire. Just... Don't hold back."

"I won't", Todoroki answered. "And I expect the same from you."

I nodded once and squeezed his hand before letting go. Then we parted, making our way to the edges of the stage. I walked up, trying to ignore the crowds cheering.

I'll keep my word. I won't hold back.

The start signal sounded and I took a deep breath as I watched Todoroki.

I'll try to finish this quickly, the half and half boy thought to himself.

I didn't have much time to react as Todoroki sent a huge ice pillar towards me, the same one he used to trap Sero. Soon enough I was stuck in the same way. Todoroki slowly walked up to me with an emotionless expression on his face.

I'm not getting hypothermia this time.

"Sho-chan", I started with a taunting undertone. "Did you really think you could get rid of me that easily?"

I smirked as I teleported right behind him, getting into his personal space.

Damn it, Todoroki thought. I forgot about that. I guess I'll have to do what she said in her first round.

"You'll have to knock me unconscious to win", I whispered in his ear.

He quickly turned around, sending ice pillars in my direction. I jumped backwards, using darkness to steady myself. Then I launched forwards, turning and twisting to avoid Todoroki's ice.