Chapter 48

Two days had passed since Endeavor's fight with the powerful Nomu. Due to the severe injuries he sustained, Endeavor underwent surgery in addition to 'healing' from Recovery Girl. Thanks to those, he avoided death.

Todoroki had gone back to his old house to see his dad. I swung by the teacher's lounge to visit Eri and Mirio.

The little girl was getting more comfortable around me every day, which warmed my heart. Tamaki was also there, and he helped her braid my hair again. Eri wanted to learn how to do it herself, so practice was in order.

I had just finished braiding Eri's hair and was about to leave when Mirio stopped me.

"Wait", he said and he rummaged through his backpack. "At lunch the other day you paid for our lunch as well. Let me pay you back."

"What?", I asked, not even knowing what he was talking about.

Then I remembered throwing some money onto the table, but I couldn't remember how much it was.

"That's okay", I quickly said. "You don't have to pay me back."

"Are you sure?", Tamaki asked. "You threw a lot of money on the table."

"It's fine, really", I reassured them. "It was my treat."

I opened the door and smiled.

"I'll see you all again soon."

"Bye, (y/n)~!", Eri waved.

I waved back and walked out of the room before closing the door behind me. I left the teachers' lounge and went back on my way to 1-A's dorms. I was surprised when I saw a familiar figure walking on the path in front of me.

"Shinso-kun, wait up!", I called after him.

He slowed his pace the tiniest bit, but he obviously wasn't planning on stopping. I pursed my lips before running to catch up with him.

"Hello", he dryly said when I fell into step beside him.

"Hi", I answered. "I heard Aizawa-sensei's training you to get into the hero course."

"How do you know that?", Shinso asked.

"Mirio told me", I shrugged. "But that's not important. It would be awesome if you made it into the hero course! I've wanted to talk to you ever since the Sports Festival."

"Really? Because last time I wanted to talk to you you didn't seem so eager."

"That's not fair", I pouted. "I was in a really bad mood back then."

"Why?", Shinso asked.

"Because I got shot", I deadpanned. "It got me pretty down. But that's really not what I wanted to talk about."

"Then what did you want to talk about?"

"You", I answered. "I was thinking, with the way your quirk works and all... You must've been told you would make a good villain plenty of times."

Shinso remained silent for a second.

"Why, are you gonna say the same?", he eventually asked.

"No", I said. "I was just wondering how you feel about it. How you deal with it. Because I can't seem to figure it out. You'd think that by now, I'd be used to it. Yet every time I pass someone and they say something about it behind my back, it hurts."

I talk too much. Goddamnit.

"You... They tell you the same?", Shinso asked.

I nodded.