Chapter 52

"U.A.'s dark side...?!", Eri said in a nervous tone.

"Ha! What might this child be saying?!", Monoma loudly asked as he walked over to Midoriya, Mirio, Eri and I.

"During the cultural festival, I told her that you were 'the dark side of U.A.'", Mirio pointed out.

"Excuse me?!", Monoma exclaimed. "I'm the one who walks the path of justice here!"

"Um... What's going on here?", Midoriya mumbled.

My thoughts exactly, Izuku. My thoughts exactly...

"Ah, sorry for calling you three out like this, (y/n), Midoriya and Mirio."

I turned my head to see Aizawa walking up to us with his usual tired expression.

"I wanted Monoma's help with something", he continued. "But regrettably, having Monoma here alone would have been far too damaging to Eri-chan's mental health."

"Who the hell do you think I am?", Monoma loudly exclaimed.

"Come on in", Aizawa said as he gestured towards the door, completely ignoring Monoma's remark.

A few minutes later I was attentively paying attention while Monoma 'copied' Eri's quirk. The same type of horn she had appeared on his forehead and he carefully touched it. Then a sad smile spread across his features as he looked up at Aizawa.

"Yeah, she's a 'miss'", Monoma concluded. "Sorry, Eraser, I won't be able to live up to your expectations."

"...Is that so?", Aizawa mumbled and he scratched the back of his head. "That's unfortunate."

"He tried to copy Eri-chan's quirk?", Mirio asked. "What are you...?"

"Rather, what do you mean by 'miss', Monoma-kun?", Midoriya asked.

"It's the same as yours", Monoma answered. "Your quirk is also an accumulation-type, yes? My quirk allows me to copy the fundamental abilities of a quirk. But if that quirk relies on storing something up and converting it somehow, I can't copy what's already been stored, you see."

Ahh, I see. Take Fat Gum for example. If Monoma copied his quirk, it wouldn't do much because Fat Gum has a lot of fat stored and Monoma doesn't.

"They come up every once in a while", Monoma shrugged. "That was the reason why I wasn't able to do anything when I copied your quirk during training yesterday."

Midoriya and I shot each other a look.

Thank God for that mechanism, otherwise Monoma would've blown his limbs off trying to use One for All.

"So why would you copy Eri-chan's?", Mirio asked.

"Eri-chan doesn't understand how to wield her own power", Aizawa answered. "If we had to have her activate her quirk, things might turn out like that again. So if Monoma-kun could copy her power and learn how to use it, then it would've made things easier for her. Guess things don't always go as planned."

"I'm sorry...", Eri whispered. "I'm causing everyone trouble."

She reached up and touched the horn on her forehead.

"My power is causing everyone trouble", she mumbled. "Everyone would be better off if I didn't have this power..."

"Eri-chan...", Mirio began.

"That's not true, Eri!", I interfered. "Don't you remember how you saved Izuku?"

"Yeah! It's your power that saved me!", Midoriya said as he knelt down in front of Eri. "It's all about how you use it! Like... Take a knife for example. A knife is dangerous, but if you learn how to use it you can make all kinds of delicious foods with it! So that's why your power is an amazing power!"