Chapter 25

When I woke up I immediately sat up straight in my bed. I had no idea where I was, but I relaxed when I saw a familiar scrawny figure on the bed beside mine.

"(L/n)-shoujo...", he began in a grim tone.

"Thank you, All Might", I softly interrupted him.

The hero looked at me with a surprised look.

"For what?", he asked. "You don't even know what happened."

"For everything", I answered. "Judging by the fact that you're here and not dead in a ditch, I'd say you defeated All for One."

I waited until he nodded.

"And that gives me peace", I admitted. "I've hated him for years. Ever since he killed Toyoda..."

That's right. All for One killed my big brother. Ever since that night, I hated him. I also knew that he wasn't dead. I didn't know how, but some part of me could always feel it. That's why I still pursued being a hero. As long as he was out free, I couldn't have peace, and neither could Toyoda.

"You don't have to worry anymore. He's in prison."

I sighed and fiddled with my blanket. Then I looked back at All Might.

"The only reason I wanted to become a hero was to feel peace", I whispered as I blinked to stop the tears from falling. "Now that All for One's finally behind bars, I know that Toyoda can rest easily."

I took a deep breath.

"But I've also realized that I'm not satisfied yet", I said. "The League of Villains is still out there. And I will do everything I can to help stop them."

All Might took a deep breath.

"The embers of One for All in me have gone out, (l/n)-shoujo", he announced. "I am no longer a hero. I will continue raising Midoriya as my successor, but wherever I can, I will help you as well."

"I'm so sorry", I said in a stifled voice. "If I... If I'd gotten Katsuki out of there sooner, maybe this wouldn't have happened. Then maybe you would still have One for All..."

"(L/n)-shoujo", All Might softly said. "You've known about All for One for a long time. You know better than anyone that our fight was inevitable. Ever since I passed One for All to Midoriya-shounen, I knew I would have to retire sooner or later. None of this was your fault."

"Thank you", I whispered as a single tear rolled down my cheek. "For everything. Really."

All Might showed me a small smile and bowed his head.

I wiped my tears away and looked at the hero.

"I do have one question that I've been wanting to ask you for a while now", I mumbled. "It's okay if you don't want to answer."

"Ask ahead", All Might replied.

"What is your real name?", I asked.

All Might smiled and looked down.

"Toshinori", he said. "Toshinori Yagi."

The next morning I was discharged from the hospital. Since Recovery Girl wasn't around I would have to heal normally, but I was fine with that. I didn't have a concussion, just a normal head wound. I would have to keep bandages on it until it was healed.

I had to swing by the police station to give my official statement. That took some time, but I didn't mind. I used my time there to attentively eavesdrop on any conversation about the League of Villains. After that I headed back home.

I took my time. I actually wasn't looking forward to going home at all. My parents would probably start yelling about how careless I was.

I sighed when I closed the front door behind me.