Chapter 18

"Alright, so how do we do this?", Todoroki asked as he stretched his arms in the training hall we reserved.

"Well...", I started as I thought about Todoroki's fighting style. "You need to start with the basics. You're an amazing fighter when it comes to ranged combat, Sho-chan, but your close combat skills could use some work. I guess it would just be martial arts lessons...?"

"If you think that's good", Todoroki shrugged. "I want to be able to do something without my quirk. Anything at all. I know I can do some delicate moves with my ice at close range, but other than that I always try to create distance between me and my opponent as soon as possible."

"I know", I mumbled as I considered different types of training. "I think we should just try martial arts sessions without our quirks."

Todoroki nodded once.

"If you say so."

I walked around him to look at his stance. I went to stand in a starting position.

"Place your feet like this."

He did as I said.

"Didn't your father teach you all this stuff when you were younger?", I carefully asked.

"Sort of", Todoroki answered. "I kind of forgot about it after I got used to fighting with my quirk. I shouldn't have."

I nodded.

"Alright then...", I mumbled. "Let's see if I can refresh your memory."

Todoroki and I trained all afternoon, trying to get him to be a little more flexible. It worked a little bit, but he was kind of rusty in his habits. Eventually we called it a day and went home.

The next day, we had rescue training from All Might.

"I am here!", the no. 1 hero announced. "And the reason for that is... Your basic hero training! It's been a while boys and girls. How is everyone?"

"Not much of an entrance", Kaminari mumbled.

"I'd expect more after a break", Sero agreed.

"Maybe he ran out of shticks?", Kirishima added.

"As an immediate follow-up to your internships, today's activity is a playful one!", All Might continued, ignoring their comments. "A rescue training race!"

"Shouldn't rescue training be conducted at USJ?", Iida asked.

"That place is for disaster rescues", All Might replied. "But what did I say? That's right... A race."

He looked around the class for a second. Probably for dramatic effect.

"This is Field Gamma!", the big man then stated. "It's a dense spread of factories that create an intricate network of maze-like alleys! You'll split into four teams, with each team going one at a time. I'll send a distress signal from somewhere inside, and you will all start at the border. It's a race to see who can reach and rescue me first!"

He looked at Bakugo.

"Naturally, keep the destruction of property to a minimum."

"Stop pointing at me", short fuse muttered.

After that, we were split into groups. I was on the first team with Sero, Ashido, Iida, Ojiro and Midoriya.

No fair. These are all the Speedy Gonzalez people. How am I supposed to keep up?

"Okay, group one, on your marks", All Might's voice sounded through the speakers.

I looked in the direction we were supposed to go and pinpointed the furthest place I would be able to safely teleport to.