18

"Huh!?" 'Who's voice is that?' Looking around for the detached voice's owner, the Vassal shrugs with confusion, Happy on the other hand hisses and starts to dig at the back of his head.

"Myoga!"

Happy hissed out a name and a black speck flew from his fur, landing on my shoulder. Looking down, I raised my hand to brush off whatever had landed on me. "A flea?"

"Aye, a rather annoying one at that!"

"It's safer here! That scaly lizard is dangerous!"

Happy's face twisted with annoyance and anger as he flicked the tiny creature from my shoulder, and mumbled about it being Toga's fault. 'Scaly lizard? Wonder what he meant by that.'

But before I could ask, I caught a glimpse of red flakes coming from Natsu. They shimmered against the flames he was fighting with. 'Could that be what he was talking about?' The two men ripped into one another, Tōga was receiving the worst though. It was clear that his demon form was no match.

With overwhelming force, Natsu's men toppled an army over twice their number. At the front of this victorious tide was Natsu. His eyes flat and empty, the blood of his enemy splatter on his face. The sight caused me to cringe as the enemy's soldiers cried out to flee.

Soon after the commander, along with his army routed, was guided out to stand before Natsu.

"Tōga, This was all you had? What a waist, you knew what the price would be for betraying me."

Toga fell to his knees groveling. "I submit to you! And I beg you for your forgiveness, take all that is mine! Just spare my mate and young son in the floating castle!"

"They are of no use to me. However, you lost to less than half of yours. So, it's clear neither of yours are worthy." Gesturing towards Toga and his army. "This is the end for you."

'He's not going to kill all of them, is he!?' The battle field went silent as everyone listened gravely to Natsu delivering the fates of the losers. 'They've surrendered, surly that stands for something.. right?' Due to Natsu's orders, his troops led away the bound enemy soldiers. Numbed by the thought of the enemies fates, I rode with the army back to Dragnof in a daze.

I didn't speak to anyone, not even Natsu. I walked trancelike, back to my room, where I was met by Sting. 'Ugh. Next to Natsu your the last person I wanted to see.'

"I see you made it back."

I couldn't muster anything but apathy for him, even though he'd been wait for me. I sat down on the floor ignoring him. To my surprise Sting crouched down at my side and put a large hand on my back.

"Lucy? Get a hold of yourself. Do you need a hand?"

"No, I'm fine. Just tired." The cries from the men who called Natsu a monster were ringing in my ears. I thought back about my question about him seeming to enjoy himself. I knew now why he laughed at what I said. 'War isn't frightening to him. Taking another's life.. means nothing to the likes of him.'

"Talk to me, was your first battle that rough? (Looking at me intently.) Were you hurt?"

I shook my head in response. "It's hard to explain.. (with a heavy sigh.) I mean, I was shot at, but Natsu protected me."

"Hm, (a grin spread across his lips.) I see."

Honestly I was impressed that he came to my rescue. I thought for just a second he was gallant and respectable. But- 'He didn't do this for the warm and fuzzy feeling of doing something good. He was only protecting his good luck charm.'

"So your first battle was a success, I don't see what the problem is. Plus Lord Natsu came to your aid."

Technically those things Sting said were correct, but remembering Natsu's ruthless decree gave me a haunting chill. I almost wanted to smack the me that thought he was gallant for saving me. "I'd Natsu really going to kill all those men?"

Stings raised an eyebrow. "Kill? Lord Natsu would never do something so wasteful. The traitor will be stripped from his land, which will be placed under a new Daimyo. He along with his men will be placed among humans. They will learn that we all can coexist."

'Huh, so this was all me misinterpreting him!?' I was relieved about that, however, Natsu still bothered me. When thinking back on how he struck his foes, I could only agree with the soldiers who called him a monster.

"Ya know, there's a point to everything Lord Natsu does."

When his smug declaration didn't have the expected effect on me, Sting shrugged. "Hm, why do you think he went out personally to quash the revolt?"

"I have no idea." I said while turning towards him finally giving him my attention.

With a slight sigh Sting replied. "I thought so, that's why I want to help you understand. Look, I may not approve of you, but you are a member of the Dragneel forces now. So it's important you understand why our lord does things his way."

"So is that why you were waiting here for me?" I say with a raised eyebrow. Sting finally sat next to me and began to explain.. With the rumor of Natsu being near death after the attack back at Magnolia being spread. There will be others thinking the time is ripe to revolt as well. Only by definitively crushing this revolt can he prevent others. 'So its a show of force. Hm, I guess he really did have a reason behind all his actions.'