42

Even though I struggled and kicked, I couldn't fight free from the iron-wall of a man..

Larcade laughed as if it was a cat and mouse game. August taunted me, "You won't be escaping. I tend to lead you out in front of Natsu, were you'll be tortured then killed in front of his eyes."

"Are you sure you aren't a demon yourself!?"

"Young lady, we live to watch that abomination contort in utter agony." Though it could've only been the moonlight, it almost looked as if August's eyes glistened with sadness.

"Though our qualm isn't with you. We can only beg for your forgiveness." He spoke consolingly, patting my head like one would do a scared child.

'Weird, but he actually looks a little remorseful. I'm sure something truly horrific happened to this man. But it ain't gonna be me figuring that out!'

Holding back my nervousness, I tried to relax as much as possible. "Fine, I won't escape. It seems futile to try anyways."

The old man praised me. I then attempted to con him into exchanging information for my life. Larcade's arms slackened. As August thought about my proposal.

'NOW!'

I bit down on Larcade's hand as hard as I could. Luckily, it was enough. I broke his grip and ran without looking back.

"You vixen!"

I could tell by the sound of his voice he was following me, but I continued to run toward the village as fast as I could. 'I want Natsu to live. Natsu, is and always will be Natsu. And I refuse to be used to torture him!'

My lungs burned, I'd raced into town without stopping to catch my breath once. Upon being close enough to see two men guarding the gate, I shouted. "L-Larcade! H-here, Army!"

The two soldiers rushed around in half disbelief, but didn't hesitate to alert the Dragneel army. As I slowed down, only because I couldn't run any further, 'Did I make it in time?' But—

"You won't escape twice!"

I whipped around, "S-stay back!"

August's army emerged from the forest. The hundreds of shadows now looked like thousands in the light.

Men from our side came pouring out of the village in all directions. But the enemy had already broken through. Sharp spears were now pointed at me and were closing in. The metal tips gleamed dangerously in the light, as my body froze.

'Move, Damn it run!' With a quick pep talk, I once again pushed myself to run. But I wasn't fast enough, they were closing in.

'No, no no no! I need help!' I screamed in my head. But, "Natsu!!" his name was the first that left my lips, as I pushed myself on..

*ba-dump*

*ba-dump*

*ba-*

"Lucy!"

And just like that, there he stood. Both fists lit a blaze and his body emitting a scorching haze of pure heat. Natsu ran towards me, narrowed eyes sharp. He never slowed down as he quickly gained distance, "Fire Dragon's Roar!" After a powerful blow from his attack. Natsu now dauntingly stood in front of me.

With a flash, Rogue and Gildarts lead more soldiers crashing into the enemy lines. My sudden relief of the front lines of combat slowly drifting away from me, zapped my adrenaline. And I slid to the ground, 'I made it..'

Natsu, who had stayed behind offered his hand to me. He helped me back to my feet, then held me close to his chest. My thanks was muffled against his armor as he spoke. "Did he hurt you?"

"No, I'm fine."

He didn't say anything else as his arm tightened, protectively pulling me closer. That's when I noticed how fast his heart was beating.. But he soon let me go again.

"What were you thinking? Breaking our promise- There will be consequences for this." Natsu's eyes burned in a way I'd never seen before. Despite what was going on, it was incredibly attractive.

"But I found out about-!"

I was cut off by a group of vassals, following Natsu's gaze toward the manor. We're the still shaky group of recovering soldiers. I spotted Wendy yelling and trying to get the group back inside. Natsu quickly shot them a stony look, as he commanded them back to their rest with some harsh words.

The vassals bowed their heads after a moment, some with tears in their eyes. Though I could see the warmth in Natsu's eyes. 'He truly cares.'

Suddenly, the sound of hooves heavily padding the ground echoed closer and closer. Enemy forces had broken through the line of infantry on horseback, heading straight for Natsu.

The warmth in his eyes melted away as Natsu grinned slid across his face. "Take cover. Lucy, help Wendy guard the manor." Natsu growled as he shot off in the direction of the enemy.

'Be carful idiot.'

That warmth and determination radiating from Natsu as he placed himself between the enemy and his men. 'I knew he cared.' He may call them pawns for his sake, but he values their lives. He wants to protect, even if he won't admit it.

Once inside the manor, Going to the second floor. There I found a covered balcony with a view of the battle below.

Though out numbered, I somehow new we'd win..