31

When I realized I was gritting my teeth. I stopped. That's when I heard someone at the door.

"Lucy, I'm coming in."

'Sting? Eh, I'm sure he's hear to give me an ear full..' "Yeah sure, make yourself at home."

Sting entered, surprisingly he looked troubled as he sat down next to me. "Still working? Hm, tomorrow I'll have someone take a few books off your hands."

"No, this is my doing. Besides I could use the distraction... But anyways, is there something you needed?"

"Yes, I needed to tell you something."

'Oh, who in the wo~rld could it be about.'

"Lord Natsu didn't kill that man for no reason."

"Oh? Does having a reason make it better?" I say slightly rolling my eyes.

"You looked shocked, plus Loke showed up for your protection. So I don't think you noticed. But the man at your feet, was hiding a knife."

"Wha- Are you kidding!?" The log book I was writing in fell from my hands. 'So that's what Loke was trying to tell me!? Gray too! But, why wouldn't Natsu tell me this..'

Sting speaking calmly, continued to explain, "The assassins had been watching you and Natsu at the inn. They must have thought you were lovers. He probably was aiming to strike a blow against Natsu by killing something precious to him."

'He was going to- Well that explains the wild look in his eyes..'

"How could I miss that?"

"A man died right in front of you, weather or not Loke tried to shield you or not it's still disorienting, especially if your not use to it. I wanted to tell you that night, but it didn't work out."

"So Natsu saved me, again.." 'He let me say such horrible things without correcting me.. Hmph, he's still no saint.'

"Sting, was killing him the only way?"

"Hm, would you risk a blade inside you to find that out?"

When I tried to put myself in that situation, I realized I couldn't predict the right answer. As long as I felt like this, I couldn't continue blaming Natsu..

After Sting left, I made up my mind..

I made my way to the tenshu, and for the first time it wasn't because I was ordered to.

"Excuse me, Natsu?"

He looked up from his drink with a smile. "Lucy, this is unexpected. Did you come to suffer more of my cruelty firsthand?"

"No, I came to ask you something."

Natsu's smile faded. I looked at him with no emotion.

"Fine, sit down."

Natsu's reply was court, as he sat his cup on the floor beside him. Giving me his full attention..