54

"Apparently you and Lord Natsu are a couple."

"Wha- now why would he say that?"

"Him, along with the troops both say you dove into enemy lines to save Natsu's life."

"Well I mean it was rash, but so was him trying to fight that crowd alone."

"So the rumors are true?"

Lily peered at my face, as did Gajeel, but with a look of indifference.

Gajeel then sat up, legs crossed. "There's no accounting for taste."

'Wha-! Hey now!' "Don't be rude! You all worship the ground Natsu walks on!"

"I meant him falling for you."

"Gajeel, watch your mouth or you won't need to warn me about the wounded, you'll be one!"

Gajeel stared at me, stony glare. However Lily started laughing. As Gajeel spoke again, "Gi Hi Hi, you walked right into that one, bunny girl."

"B-bunny girl?"

"He's referring to the night you ran away." Lily explained.

"Yeah, just like a scared rabbit." Gajeel said with a heavy chuckle. "Gi Hi Hi!"

'Hm, maybe I can see why Levy loves him.. then again.. eh?'

Lily and I continued with small talk. After a while, headquarters had grown noisy, a signal that our conversation was over. The first of the injured had arrived, and they didn't stop coming until night. I had been so busy that the whole day passed by.

Once finished overseeing the last of the critical injuries, I took a break to rest up in a quiet corner.

"Lucy, are you holding up?"

"Sting! Welcome back! Nice to see your safe."

I tried not to appear too anxious for news as I came over to him.

"How's the battle going?"

I was hoping he'd say all was over and we were victorious.. but-

"Both sides have withdrawn due to nightfall. The possibility of accidentally attacking our own men increases at night. It's tactical to postpone until morning."

'Eugh, I don't even want to imagine that happening..'

"Say, The soldiers have returned to the campsite. Natsu will be there too."

'He's safe!' A weight lifted off my chest. I breathed a sigh of relief. "Thanks for telling me, Sting!"

I grinned and waved as I turned around and ran in the direction of the camp.

.....

Once I reached the campsite, looking for Natsu, I scanned the men surrounding the bonfire. 'Where could he be-!' He was entering camp, leading a crowd of soldiers behind him.

"Natsu!"

He looked up As I called his name. I ran to him, but I couldn't help notice the way his smiling vassals cleared a path for me. Before I reached him, Natsu was closing the distance.

"If that's the way I'm greeted after a battle, I may fight every day. "

"Ha, it had more to do with not seeing you for hours, Welcome back!"

He cupped my cheeks in his hands, they were rough, but still warm. The cold of the night disappeared around us. All I felt was the tender heat coming from his gaze.

Lost in each other's eyes, the vassals that walked in behind Natsu let him know they'd be heading to their tents. In which Natsu sent them away with a gentle farewell, "Yes, make sure to get plenty of rest."

Once his vassals had departed, it was only us. Standing at the entrance of camp.

"It was good hearing you call my name, seeing you running to greet me."

"I guess I'm just an excited puppy around you."

"Hm, you do have a nice tail."

The urge to kiss him had me wanting him, with that alluring smile on his lips. Natsu's face then turned a bit more serious.

"Lucy, Gray told me you've been caring for the injured troops."

"Ah, yeah. I've been trying to help-."

"I could use some of that myself."

'What! Here he is being all cute and he's injured!'

"Your hurt!?"

"Yes."

But in my panic, I missed his mischievous grin. I looked him up and down, but couldn't see anything in the darkness. 'Light, I need some light!'

"Natsu, come near the fire so I can see your wound."

"No, let's go over there."

'Hmm, maybe he wants to insure none of his men can see?' Natsu took my hand, leading me a few steps beyond camp to a quiet spot with little moonlight.