47

We traveled with the wounded, but the enemy's haunting laughter followed us all the way. 'Where could Natsu be?'

I decided to look behind me, afraid of what I might see, but-

A rush of flames blew in from the left. The sight of Natsu's angered face, smoke flowing from his lips, caused enemy and ally alike to stop and stare.

'He's alive!!'

He lit his fists a blaze and walked to the fore of scattered troops.

"E.N.D, how generous of you to come out and offer your head like this!"

Even as the enemy taunted Natsu, he kept cool and displayed a confident grin.

"On the battlefield, you should let your actions do the talking. So stop blabbing and come on."

'Idiot.. Do Not sacrifice yourself!'

"Wha-!"

Natsu continued to grin, as the enemy let out a battle cry, and charged at him.

Myself, along with ally soldiers called out for Natsu. But he fought off his enemies like grass, felling more with each heated blow.

His opponents soon took a step back in fright. Natsu took this moment to address his men. Telling them to proceed with the withdrawal and get the new headquarters set up.

Natsu's loyal troops hesitated, until-

"Don't worry about me, I don't intend to die here!"

'You better not!' I shouted my response in my head. I'd seen him smile when things were going his way, but I was at a loss to how he could be smiling now.

Natsu's men bowed with regret as they proceeded with the retreat, guarding each other as they went.

Sagittarius began to follow them, but I couldn't help looking back and worrying about Natsu.. 'He can't hold them all off, he'll get himself killed!'

"Wait!"

"M'Lady-." Sagittarius must have noticed my worried expression as I looked behind us. "I understand, M'Lady. Shall we?"

"We shall!"

Sagittarius reared up as he turned around, fighting the flow. As we neared Natsu and the enemy troops, one man brandished his icy attack, thrusting it at Natsu.

"Look out!"

Natsu countered the icy spear, melting it immediately. "Heh, you'll have to do better then that."

Once again Natsu's remark and cocky grin caused the men around him to stir.

"You'll regret not giving up here and now!"

"Heh, I've never regretted anything. But I can't say the same for you. You'll all be dying here."

"Bastard!"

Swords, spears, and magic ready to strike, the enemy group rushed Natsu.

'That idiot! He won't be able to keep this up much longer!'

Just then, out the corner of my eye, I spotted an enemy archer taking aim with a glowing bow.

"Natsu! Archers! Sagittarius-!"

"Right, M'Lady!"

With A bit of a kick, Sagittarius and I drove into the line of enemies. The decision was most definitely not a rational one.. however, I didn't care. I'd become a bit more confident in my magic training and needed to save him.

Shocked by my actions, or the fact that I riding a horse man, the men froze. Giving me the time I needed to reach Natsu.

"Lucy?!"

Our eyes met just as the arrow was let loose.

"Natsu!" I yelled as I leaped from Sagittarius's back, grabbing him and pulling him out of the way. Natsu landed in my arms, up against the body of Sagittarius, as the arrow zipped harmlessly overhead.

'Safe!'

"Woman. Who are you!?"

'S-shit..'

Now all eyes were on me, 'Great, what can I-!' That's when I remembered I still had the ninja tools from Brandish. At that moment, I took out the smoke bomb and slammed it against the ground.

In an instant the bomb went off with a hiss, that caused the area become enveloped in a thick cloud of smoke.

As the black smoke filled the air the enemies soldiers began yelling in confusion.

"What magic is this Luce-."

"No time, I'll explain later!"

Unwilling to loss each other in the smoke, we clutched each other tight, once we both mounted Sagittarius.

Without wasting a moment, Sagittarius raced out of the cloud, leaving our confused enemies behind. It was now I was finally sure we'd made it safely to secure ground. 'Thank you Brandish!'

Finally, I was able to see again, and I could see that the troops had finished their retreat. We dismounted, and I thanked Sagittarius many times before he disappeared to his gate. Natsu and I rested in the cover of some tall grass near the new headquarters.