39

It was dark when we finally arrived at our stop: a fief run by a daimyo under the jurisdiction of Natsu's.

We all had settled for dinner, I was seated between Rogue and an older man named Gildarts. The three of us had been laughing and carrying on, up until my stomach growled. My body tensed up as I blushed, while clutching my stomach.

"What was that sound?" Rogue looked around a bit with a raised brow.

"W-who knows."

"Her stomach growled, no need in hiding it lass." Gildarts grinned a bit as he pointed me out.

"Well, maybe it's not polite to talk about!"

Rogue's brows lowered, "Why are you yelling?"

Gildarts on the other hand, nudges Rogue. "Wasn't it a cute sound? Like a kitten trying to roar."

"S-stop bringing it up!"

"Lucy, come here."

'Natsu? Ha! Save by the devil!' "Hear that? Natsu's calling me, I'd better go!"

As I made my way around the tables I could here them talking about how I'd jumped and ran, Rogue added that I'd been glued to Natsu's side lately. 'Have I? Nah!'

I took the empty seat next to Natsu with a relieved sigh.

"Seemed like you three were having a fun conversation."

"Eh, you weren't missing much."

"Heh, I want to hear your stomach growl like a kitten too."

I blushed deeply to Natsu's words. 'He heard that?!' But I soon brushed it off. "Eat! It's getting cold."

Natsu sat back drinking, as the vessels and I began to eat. But after several bites, I started to notice something was off-

'Eh, my head.. I-I'm so dizzy..' just then my throat started to burn as if it were on fire. I clutched at my neck, letting my chopsticks fall. Attempting to clear my throat and try to talk, but all I could get out was gagging.

I could hear Natsu call my name. My vision blurred, everything around me grew fuzzy. I felt like I was trapped in a haze of heat. Then All at once, I lost control over my body. I toppled backwards.

As my eyes rolled around the room trying to focus, I seen Natsu close to my face. Another warmth fought against this sickening feeling. Natsu had caught me in his arms, where he held me close.

I could just barely make out his mouth moving, but wasn't able to make out what he was saying. His arms were steady, but the desperation in his eyes wasn't hard to see.

'Natsu-.'

It was the last thing I saw before passing out—

At some point I thought I'd heard someone yelling. Something about setting something ablaze for someone. Also, I thought I'd dreamt about horrified screams coming from all directions.

'Maybe it's just a bad dream?'

~•~

'Ugh, my head.'

I woke up in a unfamiliar room. I was laying in bed. Looking around I realized this was the manor we were staying at.

"Your awake?"

"W-Wendy, is that you?"

My body was sweaty and my throat was raw. It took an extra dose of strength for me to sit up.

"Lucy-San! I wouldn't move just yet, your not quite there yet."

Wendy, who's sitting next to me reached over and grabbed my hand.

"I'm alright. Other than that being the worst form of food poisoning."

"It was actually a slow acting toxin."

I freaked upon hearing this. Wendy then filled me in
About the others being fine, though the troops wouldn't be able to move for a few days. She also told me that she was the one who'd made the antidote.

"Thank you, Wendy! Your amazing!"

She blushed, "uh t-thank you, though do make sure you thank lord Natsu's too."

::Definition note::

Fief: an estate of land, especially one held on condition of feudal service.

.