45

As I got ready for the day, the sad reminder of last night seeped in.

....

Natsu and I had been so close to each other, my skin still felt the warmth from his body entwined with mine.

Natsu seemed torn, unable to speak. But then he gave an exasperated sigh.

"Did you get what you wanted?"

"I didn't get what I expected."

My feelings rose in my chest, I stared into Natsu's eyes. 'I didn't expect to fall so badly in love, especially with you.'

"My turn, so why do you look at me that way?"

I went on, hoping to persuade an answer out of him. But Natsu reminded silent. So I pressed further..

"You use to never pass at a chance to laugh or tease me. Nothing I said bothered you."

My heart still pounded at the thought, though it was no longer because I wanted know if he felt the same as me.. My heart quickened now because of instead of answering me Natsu had looked away and untangled himself from me as he got up slowly.

"I'm done. Our bet is over, I've grown tired of it."

...

"He's grown tired of it, of me?.."

As I excited my tent, I wiped a stray tear from my cheek. 'Eh, I wish Levy was here..' pretending to rub the sleep from my eyes, I yawned.

A clear, perfect day- much to bright for my mood.

How could I face Natsu after last night..

Deep in thought, I didn't realize that Erza had come up to me. Must less the fact she'd led a horse over as I started to pack my things.

"Lady Lucy."

"Erza, good morning." I tried my best to smile.

"You'll be riding with me today."

"Excuse me?"

Erza went on to explain that she had direct orders from Natsu to watch out for me, and that this horse was entrusted to me.

"Lord Natsu expects you to follow along on your own."

'At least I won't have to worry about facing him.. But, now he's avoiding me?' With this thought I lowered my head, gazing at the ground, I starred daggers into the grass. "Idiot." I huffed as I kicked at a mound of grass.

"Lucy?" Erza, who heard me, called for my attention.

"He's just going to ditch me?"

"Hm, I'm curtain Lord Natsu hasn't ditched you." She patted my shoulder as I asked her to explain.

"Don't you think he's got a good reason? Perhaps, he wants to ensure that you'll be safe." Erza smiled then added, "I don't think he's stopped caring for you."

"Are you trying to cheer me-." But before I could finish, a vassal came running our way.

"Captain Erza! I have a report!" The vassal quickly kneeled, looking worried. He explained that an army has been spotted coming this way. This army looked to be twice the size of ours, and rode under a blue standard flag. Acnologia..

'H-how could this be!? I thought we had the upper hand-!'

"Lucy, mount! I need to see this for myself."

"Right!"

With that we quickly got onto our horses, we rode fast toward the front.

Once we'd arrived...

We met up with Gray. The enemy had pushed back the front lines so far, that they were visible with our bare eyes, as was the rain of arrows and magic that they were volleying at our men.

'This is awful!'

"Erza! Lady Lucy? What are-."

"What happened!?" Erza demanded, cutting off Gray.

"It is indeed Acnologia's army, he seems to be accompanied by others of another clan as well."

"And Lord Natsu and Lord Sting?"

"Yes, both have already rushed to the front lines."

At that sentence, a chill ran down my spin, and I thought I would be ill. Both Natsu and Sting have thrown themselves into yet another battle.. Gray's lack of a smirk made it clear how dire the situation was becoming.

Gray then explained that the scouts had already returned from their reconnaissance of the castle, in which Erza and I listened intently. Gray went on, saying that Acnologia's forces had already rallied.

"What!?" I exclaimed. We had come here with fewer men because we thought they would be unprepared..

Erza then added, "Then our information was incorrect." There was a hint of building anger as her eyes narrowed.

"Erza," Gray looked her in the eyes and continued, "the scouts said something else. Apparently, Jellal has joined forces along side Acnologia."

Erza remained silent, however I couldn't contain myself and blurted out, "Is this some kind of joke!?"

Gray shook his head no, "I'm afraid not, Lucy."

"Jellal.."