Chapter Two - Memory Lane

My memories are not good memories.

KAYLEIGH ELLIOTT

I HAD DRUNK FIVE GLASSES of champagne and now I'm realising that is was not a good idea, considering I am at a baby shower.

Ava and Jaxon had been pretty busy trying to speak to everyone and show good hospitality.

I just resulted in drinking lots of alcohol. Maybe I should stop... maybe I should get a glass of water.

Yep, I definitely should do that. My head is spinning slightly.

Grabbing a glass from the side and fill it up. I gulp and gulp. I need another.

The sound of tapping metal on a glass alerts everyone and it brings our attention back into the room. Jaxon and Ava stand in front of the island, his arm wrapped protectively around her waist.

They're both smiling, grinning ear to ear.

Jaxon clears his throat. "Hi everyone," he starts. "We just wanted to thank you all for coming today. For making it special for Ava and I and of course the baby."

Some girl 'woops' then cheers.

Jaxon and Ava laugh. "Thanks Luce," he says.

My eyes flick over to the girl and watch as she smiles. Then my eyes are back on him. Kayden.

He actually took my breath away. And for some reason he's staring at me too, across the kitchen.

He's full on grinning, dimples all on show.

I have to avert my gaze because I found him so incredibly intimidating. Or maybe it's because I am tipsy?

Yeah, let's just go with that.

I look towards Ava and Jaxon again but I can feel his stare burn into the side of my head.

"I cannot tell you how proud I am of this little one," Jaxon says as he beams down to her.

A small delicate smile stretches across her lips.

"She is going to be the best mom ever. And boy, I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with you. With our little family."

God, they were so fucking cute, my heart actually skipped a beat watching them.

"I love you," he murmurs down to her so quietly it was almost inaudible but I caught it.

Then he kisses her tenderly.

He didn't even have to say those three words, anyone could see that he was so deeply in love with her. I wish that someone could love me that much. Someone who actually cares about you, who would do anything for you, who wants to show you they love you.

I have never had this type of love, the balanced love. All I've known is manipulative love. The type that you don't know it's bad for you until you leave the relationship.

I've always been such a naive person when it comes to love, when I fall for someone I fall head over heels.

It is dangerous.

I've had my heartbroken over and over and over by the same guy. The guy that built me up and then tore me down every time.

I was stupid. I was desperate. I hated myself for it.