Chapter Fifteen: Vanya / Butterfly Identification Books

[jordans house—sunday, late morning]

HE REACHED the attic slowly, savoring the feeling that each footstep brought. Heavy. Final. Ominous.

Ominous. What a pretty word. It sounded dark when you said it, making your heart hitch. He felt ominous today, with Ron and his mother disappearing—he'd barely spent any time with his brother this weekend, too caught up in his own problems to even really pay attention to Ron for one second, Jordan was such a terrible brother—and Tate was pissed, furious, and he had every right. Billie seemed to have disappeared, and this whole thing with Five was terrible. He was frustrated by their almost-kiss (which was interrupted by your local cock-blockers, The Commission) and by their inability to talk about it. His nightmare, although almost all the details had faded (something to do with a butterfly struck him as particularly odd) it had scared the living shit out of him, and Klaus knew it.

He finally reached the landing, and they all looked up.

"We saw them leave," Allison spoke up, voice hesitant. Absently, Jordan wondered if Klaus told them about his episode this morning.

"Are we allowed downstairs now? I really need to take a piss," Klaus said. Jordan laughed, but it felt hollow.

So far, everything today had. He hated it. It was the only thing he could feel, honestly; a muted anger and hatred at everything, and the fact that it was quiet made him feel like pulling his hair out.

"Yeah, you guys can go downstairs. I'll scrounge up some money and go buy some groceries later, but for now you're stuck with whatever we've got left."

"Oh, thank fuck!" Klaus exclaimed, scrambling to his feet. He grinned and lazily hooked his fingers in his belt loops. "I haven't eaten enough!" Then he ran downstairs, footsteps echoing as he obviously tripped. He swore and continued on his way.

They all laughed, and it still felt empty to Jordan. He'd had days like these before, but never this bad.

He wanted this day done. He wanted to be done.

"I'm going to go make sure he doesn't eat you out of house and home," said Ben, smiling softly. Diego stood up as well.

"I'm going to go help Ben stop Klaus. Also, I'm hungry." The two disappeared, acting comfortable, but anyone could see the tenseness between them.

Luther excused himself to the restroom. Allison looked over at Vanya before saying she was going to stay with her.

Five just brushed past Jordan, not saying a word. As he walked past, the scent that is uniquely Fives' wafted into his nose; it smelled both like old man and like young teenagers, with undertones of Jordan's houses' smell and a bit of coffee in a hidden café, home to book-lovers and sweet college romance.

His hand brushed Jordan's and he was reminded of the sweeter parts of a faded dream; fingers interlaced under a diamond-stuffed sky, cold breeze lifting the strands of his hair, brushes of lips against hot skin.

Jordan feels his face warm as Five disappears downstairs. He's left alone with Allison and Vanya.

Guess she's the only one to consult about Number Seven.

"Hey," he said, settling down next to her. Allison smiled brightly at him, although her knees where drawn to her chest. She looked so much younger than she was.

"Hey. What's up?"

Jordan wanted to say: I'm worried about what to do with your sister, because she seems dead and maybe she is, but what do I do if she's alive? Or maybe, I need a hug because of a dream I barely recall.