Chapter Seventy-Eight: Tate & Ron Leave / Luther is Trying His Best

[jordans housefour-twelve p.m., tuesday afternoon]

KLAUS WATCHED Tate and Ron from the window, his eyes following the two as they went out and climbed into a boy's car. Tate and the guy greeted each other with a small cheek kiss, and Ron threw his bag into the backseat before saying something. The boy laughed and then backed out fo the driveway, taking Tate and Ron away.

"It's creepy to watch people from windows, Klaus," Allison said.

"Yeah, well, when have I ever cared about society's norm?"

His sister shrugs and sits down next to him, leaning against his arm. The two sit there for a moment, quiet, reveling in the slight amount of peace granted to them. It almost feels as if the world has slowed down.

"Where's Vanya?" Klaus murmured, snuggling into Allison; she is lazily running her fingers through his hair, twirling the strands. Outside, the clouds began to turn the sky gray—he vaguely wondered if he could trust weathermen, knowing that Jordan had an effect. (Not that he'd ever trusted weathermen before.)

"Napping," Allison replied. "She's more anxious than she lets on about all the stuff happening."

Klaus nods; it feels like too much effort to speak. He can hear Luther in the kitchen conversing quietly with Ben, their voices a soft and comforting murmur. The gentle sound of Jordans music drifts from upstairs, and if you strain you can make out Five's laughter. The trees dip and sway in the wind, the clouds still darkening the sky.

If Klaus could slow down time, this was the second moment he would choose to do it.

~

Ten minutes of good, comfortable silence had passed before the oven went off and Luther was shouting about pizza.

Allison and Klaus has gotten up slowly, yawning and stretching as Jordan and Five came downstairs with their hands interlaced. Diego followed them not so long after, fidgeting with his fingers.

They all agreed to save Vanya some pizza and let her sleep, so Ben wraps a few up and places them in the fridge. The rest of them grab plates and start eating.

Klaus has taken up residence on his spot on the counter, one leg drawn up to his chin and the other dangling. Ben is sitting on a chair, Diego to the right of him and Allison to the left. Luther is standing up, leaning against he counter while Jordan sits on the last remaining chair, Five on the floor and leaning back against him.

It is strange, how...at home Klaus feels, eating freezer pizza with a boy he has known for less than two weeks and surrounded by his family in a kitchen that just recently held a one sided shoot-out. The bullet holes are still visible, although they have all worked hard to cover hem up should Jordie's mother have a spur-of-the-moment visit. In fact, the moment is so comfortable and warm that he almost forgets about the fact that some psycho plans on showing up in roughly two days to kill them.

That is, until Luther brings it up.

"So, I think we should discuss about Billie," the blond says as he sets down his pizza. Ben shifts in his seat, his free hand drifting over to the stitches on his arm. Klaus's heart lets out a pang as he remembers his brothers insecurities, all the things his brother wishes hadn't left a mark.

"Do we have to?" Diego asked quietly, and there is another reminder about the pain the shape-shifting woman has inflicted.

"I think we should wait for Vanya to wake up," Five said firmly, and Allison smiled at him for standing up for the nearly-always forgotten sister.

"As do I," Luther nods, and Klaus wonders what has sparked this change in his brother; apparently, Luther is starting to try and listen—and include!people in the decision makings of his team. (If he had known that the whole reason was because of a short conversation with Jordie's best friend, he probably would've thought it crazy that such a stranger could have a large impact on his brother.) "But there really isn't any time to waste. We can make the outlines of a plan, begin to execute what we can, and then when Vanya wakes up, we can get her input and make changes as necessary."

"Have you been reading a dictionary, Luther?" Diego asked.

"No," Luther said, making a face.

"Are you on drugs?" Five questioned.

"No, I—what?" Luther shook his head and sighed, exasperated. "No, I am not on drugs. Why would you think that?"

"Well, Luther, truth is..." Ben hesitates, his fingers playing with his shirt.

"You're kind of an arrogant prick, and we just didn't know if this sudden change was something to be concerned about," Diego finished, a dry smile on his face.

Luther looks offended. "I am not an arrogant prick."

"You are." Five said.

"You're an arrogant prick too!" Luther cried out, and Five shrugged, not denying it.

"Look, whatever, I-I'm trying to be better than I was, okay?" Luther sighed. "I'm sorry for what I've done, but I'm going to try."

There is silence.

"Okay," Diego replied, his voice soft. "What do you think we should do to try and stop Billie?"

Luther smiled gratefully at his brother and started talking.

A/N:
ooooooooooo
props to luthie for trying to better himself