Chapter Forty-Seven: No, Diego, No! / Five, You Stupid Child / They're Just Fine

[the commission–time unknown]

DIEGO COULDN'T remember the last time he'd been in this much pain.

"You really are stupid," Park muttered. The guy had taken up a position in a chair just outside of the cell. They hadn't moved in hours. Just sat and watched Diego, making small talk with that damned butterfly crawling over his arms and legs.

"You've told me this," Diego muttered through gritted teeth. "Multiple times."

Park shrugged. "Just wanted to make sure you knew. You can't aggravate her like that."

"I didn't know the bitch would fucking stab me," Diego snapped, moving to sit up. He groaned, pain shooting through his back, and leaned back against the mattress. Park giggled.

"She is a bitch," they agreed. "But she's the only one I've got. Until we get Fiona back, and even then, Fiona's got a thing for her."

"Who is Fiona?" Diego asked. As much as he hated to admit it, the small talk with Park distracted him from the throbbing pain emitting from the stab wound and his concussion.

"She's my sister. Her girlfriend."

"Oh. Where is she?"

"Don't know," Park said, focused on the butterfly. It was flickering in and out like a hologram. "The Commission kidnapped her. They won't let her go until we stop you and your siblings from stopping the apocalypse. And, if we stop you, we'll stay existing, which is nice."

"Wait, hold on; you're from the future?"

"Obviously."

Diego blinked, thinking about if he cared about this new revelation. He hated it, but he did care just a smidge. Just a little itty bitty bit.

"Don't feel like you have to allow the apocalypse now, Diego," Park said, laughing. "It's fun, fading in and out of reality."

Diego stared blankly. Park laughed again, their black eyes glittering like marbles.

"Hello," Dot, who Diego had been introduced to when he was first given some drugs for the pain, smiled and poked her head in. "I'm here to give Number Two his medicine and his lunch."

Park stood up and found the key, unlocking the door. Dot stepped in and smiled wider. She held a tray with a grilled cheese, tomato soup, an orange, water, and a small little cup of bright-colored pills. Diego wondered if they where trying to kill him with prescription drugs.

Dot placed the tray next to Diego and handed him the water, adjusting his seating against the pillows. She gave him the small cup of pills and Diego swallowed them one by one, a feeling of complacency washing over him; had his mind ever felt this clear?

She took the empty pill cup, refilled the water glass, and put the tray on the bed. Dot carefully brushed his hair back, the feeling so motherly Diego almost leaned into the touch. But it felt off. He ignored it though; he was hungry.

Dot stood up and left. Park locked the door and watched Diego eat.

"So," he began as the sandwich disappeared into Diego's stomach. "Tell me about Jordan."