Chapter Fifty: Fordan? Jive? Whatever, They Have A Talk And Kiss A Little

[griddys donut shopthursday afternoon]

JORDAN WOKE up and immediately regretted it. His face was warm from the sun streaming through the windows, his legs had pins and needles from the weight of Five's head on them, his neck had a crick in it, and he had a sandwich in front of him.

He knew it couldn't last.

"Glad to see you've finally woken up," Agnes said from behind the counter. "I was getting worried you'd sleep all day."

Jordan nodded, looking down at the sleeping boy in his lap. Agnes watched for a moment before speaking.

"I think he's going to be okay. I took some nurse classes back when I was in college, and although I haven't got a degree or anything, it looks like he's just stressed and overexerting himself. In fact, both of you look like that."

"Okay," Jordan said quietly. Agnes frowned and continued wiping down the counter.

"I've got a question," she said. Jordan looked back up at her and arched an eyebrow, waiting for her to speak.

"Are you two dating?"

Jordan's heart froze. Where he and Five dating? I mean, sure, they've made out a lot, and they've very clearly got a thing for one another, but like....dating? Boyfriends? Were they doing that? Jordan certainly didn't know. They did have lots of things happening at the moment besides deciding whether or not they where boyfriends.

"Sorry, Jake. You don't have to answer that if you don't want to," Agnes said with a small smile, picking up a broom and starting to sweep the spotless floors.

"My name isn't Jake." Jordan blurted suddenly, his face hot red and his stomach twisting. Why the hell was he telling her this? He didn't know her! He—He was on the run, he was trying to get back home!

"Oh, that much was obvious, sweetheart," Agnes laughed.

"It's Jordan. That's my name."

"That's a very nice name, Jordan. Is your friends name actually Fred?" she gestured to Five.

"No, it's not. But I won't tell you his name without his permission," Jordan said, lightly running his fingers through Five's hair. Besides, his name was much more recognizable than Jordan.

"That's fine, honey. Why don't you eat that sandwich, and I'll find you some new clothes." She eyes their torn, dirty, and bloody shirts. "I'll be back in a jiffy."

Jordan nodded and picked up the sandwich, watching as Agnes locked the doors and reiterated her promise of returning soon.

~

The second the door had swung shut, Jordan dropped the sandwich. Carefully as he could, he moved Five's head off his lap and onto the vinyl seat of the booth.

As he went around the counter and searched the open shelves underneath it, he felt a small worm of guilt invade his mind. Sure, Agnes had been nothing but kind, but...he needed this money. He'd accept the clothes, take Five with him, and leave with a pocketful of cash. It was fine, right?

No, it was not.

Jordan huffed angrily at himself before his fingers slid over a key. He grinned triumphantly and held it up. It was small and silver, an intricate design on it. He shrugged and pressed it into the keyhole on the cash register.

The drawer slid open with a soft ding! and Jordan smiled guiltily at the money. As quickly as he could, he flipped open the small holders and grabbed a twenty, two tens, three fives, and a stack of paper-clipped ones.